End of an era....

oldfella1962

when this guy takes a dirt nap! :( Who knows, in that great beyond maybe Granny will be "tearing him a new one" for eternity. :)
But when I was a kid B. Hillbillies and Green Acres were light years ahead of their time. And color TV was just becoming the big new thing, so these shows and Batman were a large part of my expanding young consciousness. Anywho, back to Jethro - who made the show IMHO.
Brain surgeon or short order cook? International "double naught" spy? Who among us hasn't struggled with a career choice as a young person?
And Jethro could "cipher" with the best of them. Classic example:
"What do you want to hear, Uncle Jed, times or gozintas?"
"I guess some gozintas, Jethro!"
"Okay - two gozinta four two times! Two gozinta six three times!" :LOL:

TJay

There was an episode where Jethro had cut down some trees on Mrs. Drysdale's property. Uncle Jed told Jethro he shouldn't of done it and he was going to catch heck from Mrs. Drysdale. He told her not to worry "I gnawed on the stump to make it look like a beaver done it". :bounce:

oldfella1962

There was an episode where Jethro had cut down some trees on Mrs. Drysdale's property. Uncle Jed told Jethro he shouldn't of done it and he was going to catch heck from Mrs. Drysdale. He told her not to worry "I gnawed on the stump to make it look like a beaver done it". :bounce:
A strategic & tactical genius! :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Jethro my hero.

Oldstick

Also, I think his Dad, Max B. Senior, was a pro boxer back in the old days.

Oldstick

The BHB was one of the greatest TV shows in history IMO. Every one of the many actors were perfect for the roles they played.

Writers were kind of limited on how many episodes they could come up with given the story line, but they did it for many episodes, then stopped before it started getting overdone. Perfect in my opinion.

oldfella1962

I thought it was one of them double naught spies. :rofl:
Among many career aspirations. Side note I love how he would pour a whole box of corn flakes into a mixing bowl for his breakfast! No wonder Uncle Jed "barely kept his family fed" until he missed that rabbit & struck oil. Jethro was eating them into the poor house. I bet he had a tapeworm or something. That would have made a pretty good episode!

DannyW

Aw..the BHB were great TV. From Martin Drysdale to Granny, I saw every episode, so I guess that makes me "one of the old dudes" here on this forum.

A total of 274 episodes over 9 seasons, which makes at least 27 seasons using today's numerology.

"This is a story about a man named Jed, poor mountain man kept barely kept his family fed, then one day he was shooting at some food, up came a bubbling crude..."

Flatt and Scruggs classic.

georgia_home

The other last surviving hillbilly, Donna Douglas, passed away 8 years ago, in 2015. Just wondering how this recent article was 8 years in the making.

I never saw them in 1st runs, but hours of reruns growing up. who didn’t want a C-Ment pond?

specialk

Granny cleaned up nicely too.....

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
My favorite one was when Jethro and Uncle Jed went golfing and Jethro ended up with an offer to play Major League Baseball.

GunnSmokeer

Hard to believe /Accept
that Donna Douglas (Ellie Mae)
died many years ago,
also in her 80's.

She was so young and beautiful in that show.

oldfella1962

The other last surviving hillbilly, Donna Douglas, passed away 8 years ago, in 2015. Just wondering how this recent article was 8 years in the making.

I never saw them in 1st runs, but hours of reruns growing up. who didn’t want a C-Ment pond?
And a "great big ol'" cement pond at that! :)