Engineers/scientists explain this please!

Whitefeather

Management Material
Another interesting fact is the elevation of sea level is just an
arbitrary number so everyone is working on the same level. The sea level itself is in constant flux so an absolute sea level is indeterminate. Sea levels vary depending on where you are located.

And yes the high point of the Panama Canal is significantly higher than the water level of the oceans.

basstrkr

How is it different? Lots of creatures travel between the oceans. If a virus can get here and around the world from China, I don’t see how a continuous body of water would stop things.
Look, it was 6th grade 58 years ago I can't remember the details. I was excited to remember any of it. But I think it was sea snakes of some kind that didn't need to mingle.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Look, it was 6th grade 58 years ago I can't remember the details. I was excited to remember any of it. But I think it was sea snakes of some kind that didn't need to mingle.
If.. and that's IF I remember right.. it was some form of conical snails.. itty bitty carnivorous conchs that have since become habitated in most U.S. fresh waters that connect to salt water.

bullgator

I give you props on the memory. The only thing I remember from 6th grade was my hot teacher that made me notice the opposite sex.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I was stationed in Panama. I spent a lot of time in lake Gatun. It is a great place to fish. A Peacock Bass heaven, had a friend in the Navy’s dirty boats that would let me take out small small craft to fish. Literally hundreds of peacocks in half a day (minnows). Small dock that we used local kids would cut filets for a nickel a pop.

Besides excellent fishing the wildlife is really cool.

There are areas in the lake where it is salt water and tropical fish do live in small areas of the lake. Not sure how that happens but it does, and we would spear fish in crystal clear salt water (most of the lake is brown water). We used a sling 90% of the time. Fish had no clue. I never saw any big fish (sharks) but when we swam in parts of lake gatun - on military training exercises - they always followed us with a boat / rifleman with grenade sims for croc. Never heard of any attack. But we did see them. But it made some feel better about getting in water.

I loved my time there.

I was there before, during, and after (several different trips) the transition of the canal. It was a mess… i am surprised that the canal still runs. My last deployment down there we saw the Chinese influence begin. We should have never lost control of the canal. Very stupid

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Another interesting fact is the elevation of sea level is just an
arbitrary number so everyone is working on the same level. The sea level itself is in constant flux so an absolute sea level is indeterminate. Sea levels vary depending on where you are located.

And yes the high point of the Panama Canal is significantly higher than the water level of the oceans.
Somewhat, standard sea level occurs at 29.92 hg altimeter and 59 degrees F. Design parameters state limits of tolerance in degrees and pressure around the standard day. So the canal would be designed to function in the up limits of temperature as it won’t see many 59 degree days.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I had an opportunity to move through the locks (on foot) several times while ships passed through. It is truly amazing in that the ships tower over the locks and the US warships hung over the sides.

One thing is for sure - from a military perspective, ships are very vulnerable as they pass through a lock.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
One thing is for sure - from a military perspective, ships are very vulnerable as they pass through a lock.
And China controls the ports on both ends of the canal now.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
And China controls the ports on both ends of the canal now.
Yes, that is exactly why i made the point. We have no idea what weapons / munitions are already prepositioned to affect the locks / canal.

Before there was only one Germany, ie… Cold War we had plans to destroy key roads and bridges that would prevent Russian tanks to easily pass through our forward defensive positions. These roads would have manhole covers that covered a poured concrete chamber that a predetermined explosive charge could be quickly deployed to destroy “fast routes” as we retreated. Bridges - same thing. The idea was to let us cross the brides first, but we all knew that senior NATO Commanders would not let the Russians secure those key avenues of approach. For us guys on the ground, it was a bit of a unsettling… the thought of being trapped between a blown bridge behind us and the Russian horde to our front.

Since the Chinese hold land near and at the canal. i am certain that they have similar plans. The Chinese will disrupt the panama canal before they give up that terrain.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Yes, that is exactly why i made the point. We have no idea what weapons / munitions are already prepositioned to affect the locks / canal.

Before there was only one Germany, ie… Cold War we had plans to destroy key roads and bridges that would prevent Russian tanks to easily pass through our forward defensive positions. These roads would have manhole covers that covered a poured concrete chamber that a predetermined explosive charge could be quickly deployed to destroy “fast routes” as we retreated. Bridges - same thing. The idea was to let us cross the brides first, but we all knew that senior NATO Commanders would not let the Russians secure those key avenues of approach. For us guys on the ground, it was a bit of a unsettling… the thought of being trapped between a blown bridge behind us and the Russian horde to our front.

Since the Chinese hold land near and at the canal. i am certain that they have similar plans. The Chinese will disrupt the panama canal before they give up that terrain.
Thank you for your service.

This is something that is not a concern to government until it becomes a concern.
And that's too late.

bullgator

And some folks can’t understand why the Chinese buying so much American farmland worries many of us.

oldfella1962

Thank you for your service.

This is something that is not a concern to government until it becomes a concern.
And that's too late.
And when it becomes a concern (and the gub'mint is a day late & a dollar short) they will say "well it's not OUR fault. Nobody could have seen this coming!" even though EVERYBODY saw it coming. :mad:

Latest posts