ESPN insider- Tennessee

AccUbonD

I think this pretty much sums it up
2011: 5-7
Past five years: 33-31
Strengths: Quarterback, linebackers
Weaknesses: Running backs, offensive line

That August day at Syracuse, Marrone kept using a school where he had coached as the one most similar to his current situation. That school was Tennessee. "I don't think people realize how backwards some things had gotten here," he said. "And they really don't understand how messed up it got down there."

Keep in mind, he said that in August. By Thanksgiving, it had become pretty obvious to everyone. No one was surprised when an offense with only one senior and an injured quarterback was crushed by a four-game game stretch of Georgia-LSU-Alabama-South Carolina. But people were plenty surprised when the Volunteers fell to Kentucky for the first time since Ronald Reagan's first term. That handed them back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since William Howard Taft was in the White House.

But despite all of that, and even after losing a stunning six coaches this winter, Derek Dooley started his third year in Knoxville by signing a recruiting class that ESPNU ranked 21st in the nation.

"I'm genuinely excited because, for the first time, I feel like we have enough quality players to actually compete," Dooley said on signing day. "It's the first time I've honestly felt like that since I got here. It doesn't mean we're as good as everyone in the SEC, but now we're finally closing that gap."

An SEC schedule is never easy, but even-numbered years are typically much kinder to the Vols. They get Florida and Alabama at home and trade LSU and Arkansas for Mississippi State and Missouri, and their four nonconference games are North Carolina State (in Atlanta), Georgia State, Akron and Troy. And the Fulmer/Kiffin-tied upperclassmen who never saw eye to eye with Dooley and "his players" also are largely gone. Tennessee returns the third-most starters in the nation, according to Phil Steele, including a quarterback with huge upside in Tyler Bray.

If all of the above still add up to a fourth losing season, Dooley can start packing. Patience in Knoxville isn't what it is in upstate New York. But chances are good he won't have to worry about that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...-football/blog?name=mcgee_ncf_ryan&id=7557626

IMO Last Years season don't really reflect where the program is at. I think it could have been better if it wasn't for some key injuries.

GBO!!!

garnede

I think Dooley has done some good things at a program that has not been at it's peak for a while. I expect them to do well this year, but if they have another loosing season by by Dooley.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
The Vols certainly didn't improve last year, and I don't see any reason to expect them to be any better this coming year. I believe Dooley will be gone in 2013. I never understood the reasons for firing Fulmer, but it has really cost UT a pile of grief.

AccUbonD

IMO I think depth has returned to Tennessee. From my count UT is back to the 85 scholarship limit. Talent has returned and as bad as I hate to say it if UT has another poor season it rest on the coaching staff.