Ethic's Question / Dog Problem

bukhuntr

I am building a house out in the country, we have 7 acres, and my wife's family has another 14. The problem is that there is a neighborhood nearby. We have a serious problem with roaming dogs. I know of atleast 13 different dogs that I have seen on our property. They killed a fawn in my front yard, witnessed by the framers. This Sunday I showed up and there were four camped out around my corn feeder (I was showing up to work, not to hunt). Later sunday a beagle ran a deer across my pasture, followed by a German Shepperd. A couple of the dogs have acted aggressively, most turn tale and run when they see anyone.

That is my problem. I have 2 small children and a golden retriever that is not on a leash. She stays within arms reach without a leash and stays in the house most of the time. I am worried that something is going to happen to my kids or my dog (we had her spayed recently to prevent any added attention). There is a leash law in my county.

What would you do?
I really don't want to break out the 22mag and start thinning out the dog population. I am sure once they see their dog is missing, they will just get another, and refuse to contain it. We have a hogwire fence around our property, but the dogs just skin under it in certain spots (snare?).

I am almost positive local animal control won't do anything unless I can catch the dogs.

Any ideas?

Toliver

First, if confronted, the aggressive ones go, no question in my mind.

What county are you in?

H

HT2

Buk....

For me there is nothin' worse than Dogs just running loose......

However, I would approach all the one's that have the dogs running loose and ask them very nicely to control and put the dogs on a leash or in a pen.....

With them being asked to do so, I would also let them know that if they didn't, somethin' might just happen to the dogs......

You never know what might happen...... :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Tim,

Then when something does happen to their dog, they will sure know who to go looking for!

Kdog

Animal control would be your best bet in that situation. I have had a similar problem and when they came around asking, I told them to check with animal control.

Kdog

CAL

First,I would meet the neighbors and tell them of the on going problem and my young children.You really want to be a good neighbor.
Next,I would go to the local law(sheriff) and file a formal complant(this is for history sake that there is a on going problem).Explain your situation to the law!Ask them to discuss the situation with your neighbors,you have to protect your family.
I would then protect my family with whatever force it took.If I had to destroy someones dog,I would immediately ask the owner to come remove his animal from my property.Hopefully it will not come to this but if it does,I bet you only have to do this once.

stumpman

Banned
animal control i3 rounds for a 270 for 13 different dogs and a big bag of lime or a nice big hole to put them in problem solved and no one knows any different and the kids can play.

Jeff Raines

kill'em all,let sombody else sort them out.

If it's anything like paulding county,you will have to go pickup the trap and call them back when a dog is in it

Latest posts