Etowah River Fishing

BigBass123

Looking at fishing the Etowah around Cartersville.

I’d be in a 14’ Jon boat with a 15 hp outboard and trolling motor. Is it safe to run at reasonable speed when they aren’t generating or would it be pretty sketchy? Just looking at the map, it seems you could fish a decent area between shoals at most ramps, but not sure average depth and how many rocks are sitting 6” below the surface.

Can trolling motor effectively handle current while fishing or is it flowing too fast?

If the Jon boat is a no go, is wading a safe option?

campboy

I’ve used an aluminum boat with a 9 1/2 hp outboard in that area. You just have to be very careful. The depth varies greatly

bird35

You need to check the water release schedule and I would not go during release. I have fished the area in a kayak but not my Jon boat.

Some of the boat ramps have poles in the middle of them to allow the launch of kayaks but not the launching of trailered boats.

I have not fished that area in the 9 years since getting my boat so others will have more current information.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The wife and I kayak in the area, maybe a little closer to Euharllee. Tough to tell how fast the water will flow as well as depth on any given day. Rain or lack of as well as the release of water from the dam will directly affect both. But, I’d definitely take your setup and go check it out for yourself! Wade fishing is certainly an option(maybe better), but I’d take the boat and play it by ear. You can always get out and wade fish.
I’ve seen guys pulling there canoes through the shallows on the same day I saw a guide with 2 fishermen on a much bigger river type boat with the jet propulsion. Even on the kayaks you gotta watch for boulders so I’m gonna call navigating even a small boat sketchy…..but certainly doable!