Europe Anniversary/Birthday Trip - New Camera

ssramage

Back in October, my wife and I took a blitz tour of Europe together on the front end of a work trip for me to celebrate our upcoming 15th anniversary and her 35th birthday. We started the week in Paris, then went to Bruges, Belgium, then on to Haarlem/Amsterdam, Netherlands, and I finished the vacation week solo in Edinburgh, Scotland while she came back home.

I am a VERY novice photographer, but wanted a camera more substantive than my cell phone for a memorable trip like this. I picked up a Sony a6400 and a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens. I haven't attempted any edits with Lightroom yet, still trying to learn the software, but here's a few of my favorites from the week (unedited). I think we probably took well over 2000 pictures between our phones and camera but I tried to carry the camera as much as possible to learn it. I "think" I got better with the camera as the week went on. :ROFLMAO:

Paris:

_DSC0020.jpg
_DSC0050.jpg
_DSC0191.jpg
_DSC0103.jpg

_DSC0179.jpg

ssramage

Next stop on the Europe tour was Haarlem/Amsterdam, Netherlands. We made our home base in Haarlem and traveled via train/Uber from there. Given how much public transportation we had to use, and our packed schedule, I elected to leave the camera behind at we just used our cell phones. I will say that the Corrie ten Boom House in Haarlem is hands down one of the most impactful places I've ever been. If you do not know the story, you owe it to yourself to look it up. The power of the Holy Spirit still in that place was incredible. We met a gentleman in his late 90s that had lived in Amsterdam during WW2 as a child and we were all in tears as he broke down at the end of the tour.

My wife had to fly back home on Sat morning so I took a cheap flight to Edinburgh, Scotland to wrap up my weekend before work started back in Amsterdam on Monday. I 100% focused on using the camera and got some pretty neat pictures I think. As you'd expect, it rained the whole time in Scotland! :ROFLMAO:

_DSC0387.jpg
_DSC0409.jpg
_DSC0420.jpg
_DSC0433.jpg
_DSC0440.jpg_DSC0554.jpg_DSC0559.jpg_DSC0575.jpg_DSC0591.jpg_DSC0596.jpg

wvdawg

Staff member
Looks like you got it figured out! Beautiful shots!

TJay

Beautiful pics! We are doing a river cruise next year, Budapest to Amsterdam looking forward to it!

ssramage

Tried my hand at editing a couple of the photos. I think it turned out pretty cool looking. Total learning curve for me using Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm NOT a tech guy or an artist! :ROFLMAO:
_DSC0618 copy 1 resized.jpg
Test (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts