Ever seen a turkey this color?

ucfireman

Bourbon red domestic? Maybe got loose or one bred with a wild bird at some point?
Cool not matter how it happened.

across the river

"There’s about 4-5 color phases of wild turkey"

please take time to explain this one.

s&r

He is correct. You have the normal color phase (1) that is the dominant trait, which is why most turkey look the same. There are also recessive color phases that most people never see. You have the "smokey" color phase(2) that makes them look white. The actual colors are still there, but they are just light enough that turkey looks a grayish color. There is the Melanistic color phase(3) where the turkey is darker than normal and the tail will look solid place. You then have the red color phase(4), which is what the one in the picture is. Those colors all occur naturally and don't signify any cross breeding with domestic turkey, they are just recessive traits, which mean very few turkeys have them. The 5th color face would be albinism were the turkey is entirely white, and that is caused by both parents passing on a defective gene rather than a recessive gene.

beginnersluck

Saw a hen like that with her brood several years back. Only one I've ever seen.

Found this

A. A friend of mine saw a white turkey with a flock of wild birds. Is the white bird an escaped domestic turkey?

The white hen is probably a color phase known as the smoky-gray. From a distance, these birds appear to be white, though they are not albino. They have dark eyes and normal-colored legs. Up close you can actually see all the colors of the typical eastern wild turkey. However, the colors are muted or ghost-like, making the bird appear white or light gray. This color phase is a recessive trait and it is likely that the bird's mother was a typically colored wild turkey. However, both her mother and her father had a recessive gene for this color phase. So, it is likely that the offspring of the light colored hen would be of typical color. She would have to mate with a gobbler that had the recessive trait in order to produce white poults and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

B. Are other odd colors ever seen in real wild turkeys?

Yes, three other recessive traits for coloration occur occasionally in wild turkeys, but few people will ever see them.

i. True albinism is extremely uncommon and has only been reported a handful of times. Such birds are pure white with pink eyes.(white no other color)

ii. On the other end of the spectrum is the melanistic or black color phase. A melanistic wild turkey is very dark in color and areas that are typically light colored on the bird would be dark as well.(black no other color)

iii. An erythristic or red color phase is seen occasionally.

Never too old to learn.

I'm still sticking to crossbred chickens

s&r

across the river

Never too old to learn.

I'm still sticking to crossbred chickens

s&r

Since you are still learning, here is another read for you. And just so you know, turkeys can't crossbred with chickens, it would have had to have been one of those color passed domestic turkeys one there.

Killdee

Domestic can't live in the wild, even crossed, can't fly worth a lick can't roost in trees, Critters get em.

buckpasser

Thanks for sharing that. They’re are many interesting traits on toms killed each year that people don’t even notice. I’ve only killed one that was outside the “normal” spectrum and it was melanistic. I didn’t notice until he was on the tailgate.

cross bred with chickens

was a funny............

I've got a Rio hen at my farm with my wild birds. She has come from somebody's pen somewhere.

s&r