Fall Planting Question

There is no way I'm spending $15,000 + for a No Till Drill. I'm thinking of straightening both the front and rear gangs on my disc harrow. Adjusting it so it only cuts a inch to a inch and a half deep. Sowing oats with a broadcast spreader. Cultipacking. Sowing clover and Chicory, with a hand spreader. Cultipacking again, and praying for rain. Has anyone on here tried this, and if so how did it work? This would be for a Fall Plot.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There is no way I'm spending $15,000 + for a No Till Drill. I'm thinking of straightening both the front and rear gangs on my disc harrow. Adjusting it so it only cuts a inch to a inch and a half deep. Sowing oats with a broadcast spreader. Cultipacking. Sowing clover and Chicory, with a hand spreader. Cultipacking again, and praying for rain. Has anyone on here tried this, and if so how did it work? This would be for a Fall Plot.

That’s actually similar to how most food plotters do it. I prefer wheat to oats personally. Very few who don’t have a farming use own a drill.

Now as for the prayers ……… if you really are going to pray for rain add one for me while you got him on the line. ;)

sghoghunter

Every year fall or summer plots get sprayed,harrowed deep two weeks later,spread pelletized lime and fertilizer,turn back gang straight to level out,spread seed then run back over with both gangs straight. If I’m putting out small seed like clover it’s last thing I do before I leave. When it comes up 99% the time it looks like it was planted with a drill.

Every year fall or summer plots get sprayed,harrowed deep two weeks later,spread pelletized lime and fertilizer,turn back gang straight to level out,spread seed then run back over with both gangs straight. If I’m putting out small seed like clover it’s last thing I do before I leave. When it comes up 99% the time it looks like it was planted with a drill.
I've been trying to get away from tilling on a few plots. The Clover and Chicory have been doing better and better every year. I don't really want to turn them over. Basically I'm trying to plant the Nurse Crop deep enough to get good germination. We have 9 other plots that get turned over every year. They are only planted in the Fall. It's hard enough to get the guys to pony up for Soil Test, much less anything fancy. They don't have any problems keeping the feeders full though.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Your plan will grow a good food plot!

deers2ward

Careful with oats. My oats got burned up this past Dec in one of those cold snaps. It did come back a few weeks later once the season was over, but it was a wasteland for the last 2+ weeks of the season when they were most needed, and the deer did change their habits. I've been planting oats for over a decade, but from now on will be using wheat and/or rye.

Careful with oats. My oats got burned up this past Dec in one of those cold snaps. It did come back a few weeks later once the season was over, but it was a wasteland for the last 2+ weeks of the season when they were most needed, and the deer did change their habits. I've been planting oats for over a decade, but from now on will be using wheat and/or rye.
We didn't have a problem, we might be a little closer to the coast than you. I've had Buck Forage Oats in two plots the past 4 years. They get hammered, but so does the clover and chicory. We have 9 other plots that get planted in regular grain oats. The Grain Oats get grazed, but nothing like the Buck Forage Oats. Haven't had any problems yet.

sghoghunter

We didn't have a problem, we might be a little closer to the coast than you. I've had Buck Forage Oats in two plots the past 4 years. They get hammered, but so does the clover and chicory. We have 9 other plots that get planted in regular grain oats. The Grain Oats get grazed, but nothing like the Buck Forage Oats. Haven't had any problems yet.

I plant whitetail institute oats and didn’t have a problem with the cold either. Our plots stayed green except the radishes and turnips

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Straightening the discs ..... he was doing it for a different purpose, but you can see how seed would drop in the grooves.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
after I plow, I drag the place with a piece of chain link fence tied behind the tractor

Ihunt

Over a decade and just one problem with cold. I’ve never seen oats get hurt like that in middle Georgia. I seriously doubt we will see it again anytime soon but if we do, your wheat and rye will be a good choice.