Farm pond repair

300 Mag

Has anyone had to replace an old rusted out galvanized pipe in a farm pond damm? I just arrived at our farm in Sparta and found our pond half empty with water flowing out right at the damm where it appears the pipe finally rusted out and a cave in happened. The pond is around 80 years old and I knew I was on borrowed time.

I would love anyone's input or insight on this as it's new territory for me.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Has anyone had to replace an old rusted out galvanized pipe in a farm pond damm? I just arrived at our farm in Sparta and found our pond half empty with water flowing out right at the damm where it appears the pipe finally rusted out and a cave in happened. The pond is around 80 years old and I knew I was on borrowed time.

You can replace the existing pipe by installing a PVC siphon system. The old pipe can be pressure grouted full but needs to be filled from the downstream end and the grout will fill in the voids that are around the pipe.
Should be able to get some good info from your county extension agent office on designing the siphon system.

It’s actually a pretty simple and easy process.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We have one that’s probably gonna die soon too. Let us know what to do

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

300 Mag

UPDATE: After some lengthy time and research I finally pulled the trigger and had the pond damm repaired over the last few weeks. The scope of work changed when the heavy rains in January washed out our driveway culvert and forced the start of the repairs.

To begin the research process, I reached out the UGA Extension office in Hancock County and they quickly came back with doom and gloom recommendations. They assessed that the pond needed a "Major rehab" that should include the removal of the old standpipe and replacement with a modern siphon system along with dredging about half of the pond. For those of you that are not aware, dredging cost more than repairing the damm.

So began the process of getting estimates. The first company came out and said they recommended simply filling the existing collapsed standpipe with hydraulic concrete and then installing a siphon system. The quated +90% success using this repair. The quote for that was $12K. If I wanted to dredge the pond that would be an additional $20K. For some reason I just didn't have a good feel for going the hydraulic concrete option, so on to estimate number two.

Second company comes in and suggest we dig the existing collapsed pipe out of the damm completely, backfill the damm and install a siphon system. Their estimate is $14K and they won't even give an estimate on dredging the pond. They say it will be too much. I liked this plan of attack aside from the price and had planned to use this firm. I was just going to delay a few months until funds were fully available.

Fast forward to Jan 2024 and heavy rains. Our driveway also had a old galvanized pipe running underneath it and the combination of all the rain and rust caused our driveway to collapse/wash out. OK, now I can't wait. Just out of curiosity I searched out a third firm to get an estimate. They arrived with an estimate for both projects for less than either of the first two and seemed very professional, local and competent, so I signed a contract with them. I will say that none of the estimates were "apples to apples" for comparison. Everyone had a different opinion on how to repair the pond damm. This firm was suggesting we dig out the old pipe and replace with a more modern PVC version of what was originally there, however I would now have the ability to control the water level and have two overflow mechanism. One in the pond above the standpipe and the second being a natural spillway at the corner of the damm.

Now the real fun begins. The crew arrives and we tear out the damm and let it drain for a couple of days. Luckily most of the property downstream is also family property so I was flooding my family and not strangers.

Due to how we designed the system we only needed to take the water level down about 60% so we were able to save some of the fish. The old pipe was removed, all new piping installed and backfill began. We were about 50% complete on backfill and compaction when we noticed that there was still water flowing out at the base of the pond. Further investigation revealed that there was a second pipe running through the damm at the very base, actually, it was slightly below ground level. Luckily the owner was a standup guy and reached out to me to notify me of this and he began tearing out his work rather than not disclosing this and moving on to the next job to never be seen again. He ended up having to dig down another 15 feet to locate the second pipe and remove it. All backfill began and we ended up needing 8 additional dump truck loads of clay to backfill and bring the damm level back where it needed to be and repairs were completed.

The pond is spring fed, however, we really need a big rain to bring the water level back up otherwise we'll be waiting quite some time to get to full pool.

All we can guess is that the lower pipe was original to the pond construction 60-70 years ago and somewhere along the way there was a blowout and the second pipe was installed.

What I will say is that if I had gone with the first firm and hydraulic concrete, that repair would have been a complete failure.

The true test of time will be a couple of years from now and if everything is holding and working as planned.

westcobbdog

I would stop by the farm supply place in Sparta, bet the owner can give you a few names to get some advice / quotes.

westcobbdog

You can replace the existing pipe by installing a PVC siphon system. The old pipe can be pressure grouted full but needs to be filled from the downstream end and the grout will fill in the voids that are around the pipe.
Should be able to get some good info from your county extension agent office on designing the siphon system.

It’s actually a pretty simple and easy process.
If memory serves the Hancock extension agent covers other countie, too. Can't remember if he's based in Baldwin or Washington County.