Feed Sign/Acorn ID

BigBass123

Can anyone help me out with what kind of acorns are shown? Still learning and trying to work on my browse id this season.

Also are the pictures indicative of feed sign. 2 bare dirt areas where the leaf liter has been pushed aside, 1 decent size deer track. Found this about 50 yards from where multiple game trails intersect at a ridge top.

Attachments

• A0122D8B-ECAD-4E35-B61A-EF95E56690F8.jpeg
    A0122D8B-ECAD-4E35-B61A-EF95E56690F8.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 83
  • D1932E60-7273-4359-9AC3-0806C3EBF2EE.jpeg
    D1932E60-7273-4359-9AC3-0806C3EBF2EE.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 53C5DA4A-CA37-47E8-84D0-B93022B241C9.jpeg
    53C5DA4A-CA37-47E8-84D0-B93022B241C9.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 83

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say for sure from those pics, but I'd guess chestnut oak. That's what the seedlings in the first pic are, and the acorns look like it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely agree a chestnut oak, if a mountain chestnut it’ll be last they eat.
Unless there's nothing else around.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
White oak varieties
Is that from this year. I see your wearing gloves
Yeah, chestnut oak is a white oak, but the acorns are much more bitter than regular white oak.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yeah, chestnut oak is a white oak, but the acorns are much more bitter than regular white oak.

It amazes me the difference in the chestnut oak up there and the swamp chestnut oak down here. Our swamp chestnut is the preferred acorn over all the oaks we have. I`ve tried them myself and they are much less bitter than both white oaks and live oaks.

I`ll tell you though, you can toast any of those three in a cast iron frying pan over the fire and they eat pretty dadgum good as a snack.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It amazes me the difference in the chestnut oak up there and the swamp chestnut oak down here. Our swamp chestnut is the preferred acorn over all the oaks we have. I`ve tried them myself and they are much less bitter than both white oaks and live oaks.

I`ll tell you though, you can toast any of those three in a cast iron frying pan over the fire and they eat pretty dadgum good as a snack.
Yeah, I have a couple swamp chestnut oaks along the creek on my SC place. Big, sweet acorns, and the deer and hogs wear the ground out around them when they're dropping. But the mountain rock chestnut oak acorns will usually lay on the ground well into the winter until everything else is gone, kind of like the water oaks down there.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

The natives ground them. Didn’t they. Made some kind of bread.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yeah, I have a couple swamp chestnut oaks along the creek on my SC place. Big, sweet acorns, and the deer and hogs wear the ground out around them when they're dropping. But the mountain rock chestnut oak acorns will usually lay on the ground well into the winter until everything else is gone, kind of like the water oaks down there.

Our deer will eat water oak acorn but mostly after they`ve cleaned up the white oak varieties. Turkeys and wood ducks thrive on water oak acorns though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So that’s a edible tree shroom also.
Just wondering
They look like some kind of oyster mushroom, but it is simply impossible to ID most mushrooms from a pic of the top of the cap. Some of them, you need to do spore prints, chemical reaction tests, and look at the spores under a microscope to ID. There are thousands of species, and many of them look alike superficially.

Mike 65

I’d say chestnut oak. They eat them last at my place. I have a lot of them and they always stay on the ground till last. But I do have a lot of white and red oaks as well.