Sometimes it all comes together

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
And sometimes it doesn't!

I was already awake when my 4:30 alarm went off this morning, eager to hit the trail into a place my family has dubbed, "The Promised Land." It's very remote, and topping out at over 4000 feet, it takes a while to get there. I realized as I was going through my mental checklist (bow, release, binocs, etc) that I had forgotten my trekking poles. So after I had driven as far as I could, I cut a couple straight maple saplings for substitutes and started the climb. After an hour of brisk walking with only one stop for a breather, daylight was beginning to break as I topped out into the first flat ground since I left the truck. I took my now soaked shirt off and replaced it with a dry one, unstrapped my bow, and began to hunt.

There have been times I've been in this hanging valley when every single white oak tree had the bark worn off from bears climbing after acorns. Today was not one of those times. I only saw one small stand of white oaks that had any amount of acorns but there was ample evidence of squirrels cutting red oaks. I slowly made my way through the valley, stopping every few feet to look and listen. I could hear one tree in particular that was dropping acorns and I figured if I didn't find any hot sign, I would check it out later. I made my way up the valley, briefly stopping for a biscuit and an encouraging text message from my buddy @ddd-shooter, then followed a finger ridge all the way to the mountain top where I knew there was a long hardwood flat that I wanted to check out. I didn't see much bear sign, but I flushed 8 grouse out of the flat and the hog sign was so thick and rooting so deep, it was like walking in a freshly tilled garden. I saw a very large boar just as he was cutting across the flat in front of me, but when he got downwind of me, he tore off like a freight train and I could hear him crashing for what seemed like a few hundred yards. I hunted the flat until the wind changed directions and I decided to go back down the mountain to where I heard those acorns falling.

Along the way, I found fairly fresh lapping in the top of a red oak where a bear, sometime in the last week, twisted and broke limbs to get the acorns. I figure bears are forced to climb up to get the only acorns the hogs haven't vacuumed up. As I was making my way down the ridge, I heard the unmistakable crack and peel of a limb being broken and twisted. I knew there was a bear up a tree somewhere a couple hundred hards below me. I checked the wind and very cautiously proceeded to hone in on the sound. While stopped and listening, I saw a treetop shake and I put the binoculars on it just in time to see a hairy black arm reach up and grab a limb and pull it down. I sent a quick text to @ddd-shooter and told him I was starting my stalk. The woods are very dry right now and leaves and twigs are crunchy, so stalking required patience and self control. I tried to listen for him to make noise, then move while he was moving. It took several long minutes of checking wind and waiting for opportunities, but I eventually found myself 19 yards from his tree. It was so thick, I still couldn't see him until I sidestepped a little and then there was his big brown muzzle. I tried to range a yardage and I'm not sure I ranged him or limbs, but I came up with 24 yards. He had just broken a large limb and let it fall to the ground and he began to reposition himself, or maybe he was coming down the tree to feed on the acorns he had just dropped. Either way, I saw a small opening and sent a Grim Reaper his way. I heard the arrow hit and he woofed and came down the tree like a rocket. He stopped briefly about 12 feet off the ground, looked at me, then hit the ground and bolted down the mountain.

The excitement of the stalk and the anticipation of the shot was magnificent. I'm truly blessed to be able to experience times like this. I gave him a few minutes and slipped to the base of the tree. There was immediately a good blood. I had first heard the limb break at 10:50, spotted him at 10:59, and finally made a shot at 11:17.

At the base of the tree
20220924_112550.jpg

This is what he was after
20220924_112600.jpg

At 1:40, after over 400 yards of tracking, I called it quits. :( He ran straight down the mountain leaving decent blood for about 350 yards. It got sparse at times, but then I would pick it back up. I finally lost blood just above a hog wallow and after circling and backtracking, I decided he had not expired. At this point, I was way down in a hole and still had a long way to come out, so I began the slow steep climb out. I was on the edge of a laurel thicket and came upon a well worn game trail. I decided to follow it and hope it brought me out somewhere near my trail. Imagine my surprise when I looked down on the trail and spotted blood. He had abandoned his downhill flight and taken one of his trails. This further convinced me he was not mortally wounded. The last blood I found, was a place where he stood for some time. OnX says it was 408 yards from the tree I shot him in.

20220924_122139.jpg20220924_130135.jpg20220924_130241.jpg

The last blood, 408 yards from the tree
20220924_134053.jpg
Upon reflection, I believe I hit him lower than I wanted to. Of course, shooting straight up is not a shot I practice very often with a bow. Despite the disappointment of wounding an animal and not finding it, today was a marvelous day in God's great creation. And though my legs and feet feel like I've run a marathon, I'm already looking forward to doing it again.

Joe Brandon

Awesome story and read! Looks like his blood started to clot as the pics go on. Hopefully he coagulated and will live to see another arrow.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about this. Don’t let it slow you down

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Excellent story. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you shoot that same SOG right in the heart next time out

Here is how my day went:

After listening to some ZZ Top and drinking a few too many sasparillas last night I got a late start. Hit the woods about 8am.

Made my climb and started working. Saw a small Mickey Mouse looking bear about 10am. Walked a long ridge I’d been eyeballing on the map. Low and behold I found the honey hole. Acorns dropping and a nice supply of fresh scat. I had the wind in my favor so I just pushed out the ridge with my head on a swivel. Climbed up and over a big hill. There the acorns and sign dried up. At 2:30 I decided to stop, eat my sammich, and take a break. The wind shifted and decided to work back through the good sign. I climbed back over the big hill and as soon as I hit the ‘bottom’ a grouse flushed and a bear tore the woods down racing off the MTN about 100 ft down the hill to my right. Dang it, that’s how it goes sometimes.. I took two steps and saw a BRUISER (~300lbs) about 75 yds out through some brush. It had its head down munching. I slipped up about 15 yards behind a dead tree in wait. It kept feeding, slowly making its way towards me. My plan worked perfectly, the bear wound up @ 25 yards 100% broadside. I draw, anchor, set pin on vitals and touch go. The arrow cut the air and sailed over the back of the bear off the side of the ridge never to be seen again.. The bear looked off the ridge in the direction of the arrow and urgently sauntered away

I got back to camp and shot 20 arrows. All perfectly placed. I’ve got no good excuse, I just botched the shot.. That will be the first time in 20 years of bowhunting that I’ve ever flat out missed a critter…

Keeping the sasparillas at minimum tonight. Hopefully the rain will hold off and I can get back in there tomm AM and bust his ribs

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hate to hear you didn’t find him but it happens to anyone who hunts . Sounds like you made your best effort, now go find another one .

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Excellent story. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you shoot that same SOG right in the heart next time out

Here is how my day went:

After listening to some ZZ Top and drinking a few too many sasparillas last night I got a late start. Hit the woods about 8am.

Made my climb and started working. Saw a small Mickey Mouse looking bear about 10am. Walked a long ridge I’d been eyeballing on the map. Low and behold I found the honey hole. Acorns dropping and a nice supply of fresh scat. I had the wind in my favor so I just pushed out the ridge with my head on a swivel. Climbed up and over a big hill. There the acorns and sign dried up. At 2:30 I decided to stop, eat my sammich, and take a break. The wind shifted and decided to work back through the good sign. I climbed back over the big hill and as soon as I hit the ‘bottom’ a grouse flushed and a bear tore the woods down racing off the MTN about 100 ft down the hill to my right. Dang it, that’s how it goes sometimes.. I took two steps and saw a BRUISER (~300lbs) about 75 yds out through some brush. It had its head down munching. I slipped up about 15 yards behind a dead tree in wait. It kept feeding, slowly making its way towards me. My plan worked perfectly, the bear wound up @ 25 yards 100% broadside. I draw, anchor, set pin on vitals and touch go. The arrow cut the air and sailed over the back of the bear off the side of the ridge never to be seen again.. The bear looked off the ridge in the direction of the arrow and urgently sauntered away

I got back to camp and shot 20 arrows. All perfectly placed. I’ve got no good excuse, I just botched the shot.. That will be the first time in 20 years of bowhunting that I’ve ever flat out missed a critter…

Keeping the sasparillas at minimum tonight. Hopefully the rain will hold off and I can get back in there tomm AM and bust his ribs
Sounds like you found the spot! Check the wind and get back in there.

Swampdogg

Thanks for sharing, these are the kind of hunts you’ll remember forever and can learn from , I’d get back in there , if the food is still hot he might return

ddd-shooter

Great hunt! @northgeorgiasportsman will close the deal soon I'm sure.
Yesterday seemed to be the "close, but no cigar" day for both of us.
For the afternoon, I climbed up to a spot I found later in the season last year. The area is about as thick as you can hunt with a bow, but in the middle of all the thick, two good logging roads converge at a white oak lead. I knew if acorns were present I wouldn't even need to climb a tree, but knowing how sparse they were, I took my tree stand in hopes I could wait a buck or bear out and catch them using the main terrain features to get to food or water.
Last year, I picked a good white oak above the crossing to hunt. Hunted it a few times and had some good encounters.
This time, I picked a white oak below the crossing. There was no way a bear could get my scent from this tree, but it put me further from the laurel thicket edge above the crossing. Sure enough, right before dusk I catch movement. It was a black blob coming down the upper logging road. If he follows the road, I've got a chip shot on a 200ish pound bear. By now, my blood is pumping.
Instead, he leaves the road and catches a small deer trail which goes nearly under the other stand location.
He moves quickly in and out of the thick with no real shot, probably 40 yards out.
Super cool encounter, but I'd be lying if I didn't question my stand selection, even if only for a minute. It's been a good year for bear encounters.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Sounds like you found the spot! Check the wind and get back in there.

Yea, it’s the best sign I’ve seen this year. I woke up to rain this morning. Looked like it would pass quickly so I headed in. The rain hit me again about 10:45. Nice little shower that soaked me. I called it quits by noon.. No bears spotted..

It’s been a tough start to the season for me. I’m seeing bears, just have yet to punch a tag. I ain’t giving up though