Few Line Questions

hopper

Leaving Saturday for a week. Not doing alot of fishing but hopefully able to carve time to wet a line. Will be fishing around inlets and the place we are staying is on a tidal river. I am told small shark and flounder are abundant along with other species. What I have is a 7ft medium heavy ugly stick with a cheap Shakespeare real spooled with 20 pound powerpro braid, a 6'6" ugly stick with a pflueger spooled with 17lb sufix siege clear and a couple 6"6" ugly sticks with 8lb big game for bait fish and smaller fish.
Does this sound like it will be OK?
Do I need a leader for the braid? Maybe the 17# suffix or other?
I do have alot of 3/4 and 1oz egg sinkers and size 1 to 3/0 hooks.
I really have no experience with salt water. Any help appreciated. Buying my 7 day S.C. saltwater license tomorrow online.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Leaving Saturday for a week. Not doing alot of fishing but hopefully able to carve time to wet a line. Will be fishing around inlets and the place we are staying is on a tidal river. I am told small shark and flounder are abundant along with other species. What I have is a 7ft medium heavy ugly stick with a cheap Shakespeare real spooled with 20 pound powerpro braid, a 6'6" ugly stick with a pflueger spooled with 17lb sufix siege clear and a couple 6"6" ugly sticks with 8lb big game for bait fish and smaller fish.
Does this sound like it will be OK?
Do I need a leader for the braid? Maybe the 17# suffix or other?
I do have alot of 3/4 and 1oz egg sinkers and size 1 to 3/0 hooks.
I really have no experience with salt water. Any help appreciated. Buying my 7 day S.C. saltwater license tomorrow online.
From what you describe, your gear will work, just rinse it off with fresh water after use.
The conditions you describe, get some fresh bait and fish the area like you were catfishing.

Have fun.

hopper

From what you describe, your gear will work, just rinse it off with fresh water after use.
The conditions you describe, get some fresh bait and fish the area like you were catfishing.

Have fun.
Thanks. You think I should use a mono leader with the braid or just straight baid?

WaltL1

I always use a 15 or 20 lb. flurocarbon leader attached to the braid.
And frozen shrimp etc. you get from the bait shop sucks. Live bait or fresh dead bait is way better.

hopper

I always use a 15 or 20 lb. flurocarbon leader attached to the braid.
And frozen shrimp etc. you get from the bait shop sucks. Live bait or fresh dead bait is way better.
Thanks Walt. I've been directed to a bait shop nearby that sells fresh and live bait.

WaltL1

Thanks Walt. I've been directed to a bait shop nearby that sells fresh and live bait.
Excellent.
If you catch some smaller crabs off the dock, break one in half and put the half on your hook. Great redfish bait.
And catch pinfish off the dock and use them. Everything eats those. You just might be able to catch most all your bait off the dock and save the money and have fun doing it.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Thanks. You think I should use a mono leader with the braid or just straight baid?
Ever Carolina Rigged?

Sinker, swivel, flouro if the water is clear, if it's stained a mono leader will work, hook and bait.

Don't over think it just have fun.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
25 or 30 flouro....I never use less than that. And theres other options just as good at half the price of power pro braid!

Tight Lines

I use 25 or 30 lb. mono or flouro leader on my braid to a saltwater swivel, then whatever rig I am using. I have some braided steel and titanium leaders that I use if fishing toothy critters like sharks or bluefish etc. The bait shop will have pre-made rigs for you...not expensive. Pompano rigs, Carolina rigs, etc. I use shrimp, sand fleas, finger mullet, etc. Good luck!

Tight Lines

If you are surf fishing, I use a 2 or 3 hook rig with the weight at the bottom. The inverted pyramid or the ones that have the little wires sticking out of them...3-4 oz. so they stick in the sandy bottom and don't come in with the surf.
1687574012873.png1687574033430.png

Tight Lines

I also love the poppers if the fish are hitting the baitfish...the clear bubble type that you fill with water...they help you cast a mile, and create a big splash ahead of a spoon or plug...
1687574176709.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like at least a 20-30 lb mono shock leader to protect from teeth and shells and such. Cut finger mullet and squid will catch most surf/inlet fish, and don't get stolen as easy as shrimp. Gulp swimming mullet or Saltwater Assassin paddletails on a 1/4 oz jighead usually also work good on flounder, trout, and redfish.

Latest posts