Field Patina

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Funny how this stuff works. I found these two Hernando points in the spring of 1987 while turkey hunting in Webster County. This is at the northern extreme of their territory. Both were made from high grade Coastal Plains chert, When I leaned down to pick up the point with the heavy patina, I also saw the point with no patina about 3 steps ahead. Two Hernados, layed in that field 5 feet apart for several thousand years, same stone, same soil makeup, but completely different patina. Somebody care to explain that?

Attachments

• 20230529_141425.jpg
    20230529_141425.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230529_141449.jpg
    20230529_141449.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 100

Tentwing

I have often wondered about this myself ……… :unsure: I have found points of ( what appeared to my NOVICE eyes ) to be the same design in the same plowed field, but sometimes years apart that appeared to have very different patina?? So much so that one would be smooth and almost shiny, and another of the same material would be rough and still very sharp:unsure:……??

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This particular field was well over 100 years old, and less than 200 yards from the Kinchafoonee Creek, not far from it`s headwaters. I`ve come to the conclusion in my own mind anyway, that heavy fertilizer applications over a hundred years and more might have a physical impact on certain type stones, but I just can`t figure out why in this case?

Tentwing

I am going to dig through my collection and see if I can find it, but I have point that is very similar to the second one in your post. ( it is however a different color material) It has to be a different design, but I am curious however because you found yours at the extreme north end of their range , and mine was found on a small hill near the mouth of a large spring that converges with a medium size creek maybe two hundred yards away. It is in Walker County Georgia near the Tennessee/Georgia line . :unsure:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am going to dig through my collection and see if I can find it, but I have point that is very similar to the second one in your post. ( it is however a different color material) It has to be a different design, but I am curious however because you found yours at the extreme north end of their range , and mine was found on a small hill near the mouth of a large spring that converges with a medium size creek maybe two hundred yards away. It is in Walker County Georgia near the Tennessee/Georgia line . :unsure:

Post it up. I`d love to see it.

swampstalker

Nic, I wonder if heat treating temperatures that change composition also change the likelihood of patina formation.....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, I wonder if heat treating temperatures that change composition also change the likelihood of patina formation.....

I don`t know? Within 25 feet of where I found the two Hernando`s I also found the finest Mississippian Triangle I`ve ever found, It too was Coastal Plains chert but it had been heat treated and was deep red. No patina was on it.

swampstalker

Interesting. I'm thinking specific temperatures affect the rate of patination. I guess we just need to get out the trading blanket again and do some heat treating experiments...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, it is not quite a similar as I may have thought :unsure: …… gray haired memory:ROFLMAO: , but then again I did find it in the late 70’s;)View attachment 1230011View attachment 1230012.
. but I have always wondered what type of point this may be :unsure:, cause in all my years of hunting in that area I never found anything else of this design ………

It has the overall shape of a Hernando. I know a Gentleman who is an expert on this point type. I`ll show it to him and get back with you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nic, it is not quite a similar as I may have thought :unsure: …… gray haired memory:ROFLMAO: , but then again I did find it in the late 70’s;)View attachment 1230011View attachment 1230012.
. but I have always wondered what type of point this may be :unsure:, cause in all my years of hunting in that area I never found anything else of this design ………
My first guess given the area it came from would be an Eva.