EVERYTHING You Need To Know About CRAPPIE!! Pt. 1 - The Basics

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
This is going to be one heck of a long post... Anyways, hello again all, sorry to keep folks waiting on this, as I know it was highly anticipated. This will be a multi piece project on crappie fishing. These elusive panfish are at the top of the list in terms of nationwide popularity and are considered america's favorite gamefish just behind bass, trout, and catfish I believe. Definitely america's favorite Panfish however.
With time getting closer and closer to the spawn, everyone is gearing up for some crappie fishing madness and the time is about right to cover this species. So, grab a chair, some snacks, a pen and some paper because we're diving into everything crappie today. (Almost). I really hope you don't have anything else better to do because this is going to be LONG. Without further ado....

CRAPPIE FISHING BASICS
"Crappy", "Croppie" , Specks, Speckled perch, Sac-A-Lait, Papermouths, or whatever you call them, have always been a popular fish species and have kept up with the furious rise to glory of the black bass species. Actually, crappie fishermen outnumber bass fishermen as well as most other fishermen nationwide. They're popular in Canada as well, even though there aren't as many up there. Despite how popular they are, there have been comparatively fewer studies done on crappie, so they are still pretty elusive and hard to figure out for a lot of guys. In the spring time, it seems like everyone's catching them. Anglers of every shape, size, age and color are shoulder to shoulder lined up and down the banks crappie fishing.
All the bass fishermen of the summer seem to not even be present and there are dozens of crappie boats on the water. Chewed crappie baits lining the banks and boat ramps and bucket after of bucket of minnows sold at whatever bait shop has them. Then after they get done spawning, it seems the crappie and the crappie fishermen all disappear.

The truth is, a better understanding of how and where crappies spawn, how they detect and select forage, and other background knowledge are unknown to most fishermen. They just happen to run across them by chance. The crappie is a nomad species, not staying in any one spot for too long and they're extremely adaptable, having been stocked all over the country and surviving in anything from tiny frozen over ponds up north to giant warm water reservoirs down south. You'd have to be a pretty hardcore crappie fisherman to be able to consistently find and catch these fish year round, but we'll get to that. Most popular gamefish like bass, trout, catfish, walleye and the like can live up to 25 years, normally with the longer life spans being northern fish. This holds true for crappie as well. They live up to 15 years in the north, but average 4-7 years down south. This can vary quite a bit depending on location. One lake may have younger fish than the next. Also, you have to assume that crappie won't end up in someone's frying pan by that point. If you're looking for larger size crappie, there must be abundant food available to them. Crappie are predatory fish, and survive mostly on smaller fish. Anywhere there's an abundance of shad from 2-4 inches, you may find large crappies. They are very cover oriented fish, although they may be found suspended in open water. Crappies also are filter feeders. Unknown to most people, crappies actually spend a lot of time eating zooplankton and insect larvae. However, crappie need meat to get big, and they get largest around baitfish. After baitfish get larger than 4 inches, crappie can't make much use out of them as far as food go, and then you start getting into bass food territory. This said, you can probably assume the best size crappie lures are in the 2-3 inch range, with most on the market being 1"-2" in length. Crappies have a big enough mouth and appetite though to grab a 3 inch bait. Trophy size crappie fishermen will use 3 inch baits almost exclusively. Don't overlook the tiny inch long baits though, as crappies are notorious for being fickle about color of baits, but what is equally important is size. A smaller overall profile can get you as many bites or more as changing color, or if your larger baits aren't working.
The standard size crappie baits work best in the spring and summer months, when shad are at the perfect eating size for crappie. By fall, a lot of them start to get too big. In the winter, crappie feed a lot more on zooplankton and tiny baitfish and times like these are better for little baits. Also, around insect hatches, they will feed heavily on smaller offerings. Most crappie baits imitate shad and minnows, but don't overlook bugs. A good mayfly hatch may leave baitfish going unnoticed.

Black Crappie VS. White Crappie

There are 2 species of crappie. The black crappie and the white crappie. These fish, although closely related, are different in shape, preferences and temperament. There's a difference in catching white crappie vs black crappie, so before you even go fishing, it may be a good idea to decide which one you're after. Just like how Largemouth Bass Fishing and techniques are different from spotted or smallmouth bass, you'll use different techniques for both species even though they're similar and eat a lot of the same food.

Black Crappie are more rounded in shape, have 7-8 dorsal spines, and are covered in irregular spots or "specks" on the body. They also have a black stripe that crosses their eyes most times.
White crappie are more elongated, featuring 5 or 6 dorsal spines, and have dark, vertical bars down their sides. They also have a more upturned mouth than black crappie. These fish can hybridize, and their hybrids usually favor the white crappie, although they are darker. There is also the "blacknose” crappie, which is actually not a separate species or hybrid, but a genetic mutation of the black crappie. Nothing wrong with them at all, just a black crappie with a dark, prominent stripe down their forehead and back.

In structure and cover preferences, white crappie prefer deeper and dirtier water than black crappie, and they relate to wood cover extremely well. On the other hand, black crappie prefer slightly shallower water, cleaner water and relate well to vegetation. Where both species are present in the same lake, expect to find black crappies in weed beds and along weed edges in the cleaner parts of the lake and find white crappie in deep wood cover in dirtier water. This explains why white crappie are found all over the south and midwest, and black crappie are in more northern and western states than white crappie. I should add that there are not really any white crappie in Florida. They're nearly all black crappie and were stocked there. Southern states like Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee have excellent white crappie fisheries though with their longer, hotter growing season and dirtier water. This is important to remember, because most people think you need clean water to catch crappie. If you're fishing for whites, you can literally catch them out of a mud hole. As far as size, most folks think white crappie get bigger than black crappie, but they both reach about the same maximum size at about 5-6lbs. The world record for both are in the 5 range, but some people have caught some they claimed were 6 but they couldn't be proven. A 2lb fish isn't hard to come by in any healthy fishery, but 3lbs is considered a trophy crappie. Any lake you fish for crappies should be at least 65+ acres in size, as smaller lakes and small ponds tend to get overpopulated quickly and only produce very small fish.

HOW CRAPPIES FEED

Crappies have incredibly acute eyesight and have one of the largest eye sizes relative to their bodies to any gamefish. Even the juveniles have huge eyeballs that are just about too big for their heads. This is to let more light in and it's part of why crappies feed so well at night. They have multiple light receptor cones in their eyes and cnn distinguish color, which explains why they can tell whether you're using chartreuse today or not, and allows them to actually see zooplankton, which almost guarantees their survival, because they are the smallest available animal food source. Even though they're invisible to us without a microscope, crappies actually see them. They have great black and white vision and as such feed very well under low light conditions. This also comes into play with location of crappie, because there is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Too much light from a bright sun, and crappies go deep or hide in shaded areas. They have no eyelids and it can get too bright and too hot in a lot of places so they leave, which is why people stop catching them after the spawn in the spring. Crappie also have pretty good smell and taste capabilities. Not like those of a catfish or salmon that uses their senses to migrate or find food, but pretty good nonetheless and they can actually determine flavor through taste buds. This is important for two reasons. First, minnows use their sense of smell to sense danger, and they put off a chemical alarm pheromone called Schreckstoff when injured. Other minnows respond to this with a flight response to avoid being eaten. Studies have shown that pike and bass are attracted to this pheromone, but nobody knows if crappie are. Still, it is used in a lot of fish based attractants, and it can trigger bites on slow days. Secondly, an attractant can put a coating on your bait that makes it easier to see and detect by crappie. There are many UV enhanced products that will make your bait "glow" in the water, attracting fish.

SOUND AND VIBRATION

In crappie fishing, most baits are made to be silent and lifelike, but there are some that take advantage of the crappies use of their lateral line system. They respond well to baits that shake, rattle and roll. Most of these are just scaled down versions of bass lures. Crappies grab spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, crankbaits, blade baits, jerkbaits and other lures like that. A tiny lipless crankbait is a fantastic crappie lure and even ice fishing lure, and like most baits in the aforementioned lineup, work well in stained or muddy water. Crappies in stained water will use vibration and sound to locate a bait and then use vision as a final check before swallowing it whole. Crappies have a pretty big mouth relative to other panfish and prefer to engulf thier food items entirely and swallow them whole much like bass. Smell and taste help them locate baits in dirty water also and scent can help get fish that only look at a bait to strike it or hold on much longer than they would have otherwise.

Last edited:

Fletch_W

Banned
I have only been specifically targetting them for two years so far, but I can say everything you've posted so far is consistent with my experience.

Bonus Upvote for the line near the end about scent and florescence = crappie nibbles make a difference !

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I have only been specifically targetting them for two years so far, but I can say everything you've posted so far is consistent with my experience.

Bonus Upvote for the line near the end about scent and florescence = crappie nibbles make a difference !
Indeed sir! I see you're a man of culture as well! Crappie nibbles are a MUST HAVE item! Go on Amazon and get that 3 pack for anyone who doesn't have them. Chartreuse, pink, and white are the only ones you'll ever need.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Also, by the way, Bass Pro/Cabela's is doing a 50%off sale on a lot of crappie fishing items currently, so shoot on over there after I finish part 2 of this series and get into baits so you can stock up for this spring. Fillets are hitting my freezer for sure!

RamblinWreck

My crappie success has increased exponentially, all year 'round, since I put Garmin Livescope on the boat. My knowledge of where to find them has also gone way up. I have almost 300 waypoints on just Lanier, and am adding a lot on Oconee and a couple other bodies of water.

I also never use minnows - jigs and plastics only. I never keep fish under 11", or over 14".

My opinion only! YMMV

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I need to update my trolling motor, front fish finder and would like to see livescope in action before dropping the cash for it. Need to put hydraulic steering on boat first.

Fletch_W

Banned
You edited this into your post-

"
Any lake you fish for crappies should be at least 65+ acres in size, as smaller lakes and small ponds tend to get overpopulated quickly and only produce very small fish.
"

My 4 acre neighborhood pond is overpopulated with crappie, they are skinny, but they average about 10 inches, which is perfectly good for filets. My friend on a 6 acre Roswell neighborhood pond is the same.

On the other hand, their presence stunts not only their own growth, but all of the other predator species in the smaller body of water. I would not recommend stocking crappie in small water for this reason; they take over. However, if a person is ever invited to crappie fish in small water, no reason to turn it down. You won't catch a trophy but you can catch a buzz and some fish tacos.

Fletch_W

Banned
Also, it's my understanding you have black and white crappie flipflopped regarding their distribution, that black crappie are actually the most popular stocked crappie in the SE. Can you check on that one so we can put that to bed?

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
You edited this into your post-

"
Any lake you fish for crappies should be at least 65+ acres in size, as smaller lakes and small ponds tend to get overpopulated quickly and only produce very small fish.
"

My 4 acre neighborhood pond is overpopulated with crappie, they are skinny, but they average about 10 inches, which is perfectly good for filets. My friend on a 6 acre Roswell neighborhood pond is the same.

On the other hand, their presence stunts not only their own growth, but all of the other predator species in the smaller body of water. I would not recommend stocking crappie in small water for this reason; they take over. However, if a person is ever invited to crappie fish in small water, no reason to turn it down. You won't catch a trophy but you can catch a buzz and some fish tacos.
This is true. Any trophy largemouth pond that is being built, most of the time if you enlist the help of a fisheries biologist, they'll tell you that crappie are really not even an option. Those skinny 10 inchers you're currently catching will shrink smaller and smaller over time if more of them don't get taken out of there

Fletch_W

Banned
This is true. Any trophy largemouth pond that is being built, most of the time if you enlist the help of a fisheries biologist, they'll tell you that crappie are really not even an option. Those skinny 10 inchers you're currently catching will shrink smaller and smaller over time if more of them don't get taken out of there

That's why I have organized CrappieFest 2021 with a bunch of buddies to come out this May and we're going to put a hurt on them. For the last couple years it's only me and one other guy that regularly fish for them, so I've had to enlist help.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Also, it's my understanding you have black and white crappie flipflopped regarding their distribution, that black crappie are actually the most popular stocked crappie in the SE. Can you check on that one so we can put that to bed?
What I said was white crappie populate most of the southern and midwestern states because of their tolerance for warm and turbid water and black crappie populate more of the northern and western states. They do share some of the same distribution in the southeast though. The combined native range of both species used to just extend from Florida, north through the great lakes and into Canada. Now, stocking has put them into all the lower 48 states, northern Mexico, and southern british columbia. White crappie were native to the lakes and rivers between the Atlantic coast and the Mississippi River, apparently having never existed in Florida at all. They have also been stocked, but black crappie have indeed been stocked in more places because of their preferences in water and cover. Black crappie are one of the most popular stocked fish period really, though I never said anything about stocking white crappie vs black crappie at all I think. They can have a mixed population but it's usually mostly one or the other being the dominant species.

Fletch_W

Banned
I never knew they were filter feeders. That explains a question I've always pondered how they can snuff out a lake. Bass gone, catfish gone, but crappie remain. Because they can filter-feed plankton to subsist some level of population while the other predators get starved out. I've also read they can be very cannibalistic to also help them maintain themselves as a population that you can never really "get rid of".

Which goes back to a point we were both trying to make, never ever stock crappie in small water.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I never knew they were filter feeders. That explains a question I've always pondered how they can snuff out a lake. Bass gone, catfish gone, but crappie remain. Because they can filter-feed plankton to subsist some level of population while the other predators get starved out. I've also read they can be very cannibalistic to also help them maintain themselves as a population that you can never really "get rid of".

Which goes back to a point we were both trying to make, never ever stock crappie in small water.
YEP! And they eat all the hatchlings of larger fish. You're right , they will eat their own young if they have to as well. Those small fish you were speaking of earlier being skinny probably filter feed a lot because there's not nearly enough baitfish for them all to put on weight. If there's not enough water, cover, and food and there's enough habitat for crappie to spawn, it's a wrap. Everything will either be dead or undersized, with tons of tiny bluegill and runt crappies and they're next to impossible to get rid of unless you drain the pond and start all over.

Fletch_W

Banned
This year's Bass Pro Shops Master Catalog came this week.

Newbie crappie fishers:

-go to page 252, Item D, and select from color chart Black/Chartreuse, and Length 1 1/2.

-page 261 Item A in 1/32 size and color black, and another pack of Chartreuse

-page 267 should have Berkeley Crappie nibbles but they don't. You'll have to find those online, outside the catalog.

-To diversify your crappie jig portfolio, go to page 256, Item E, in two colors: Monkey Milk (pictured) and Cajun Cricket. These are very popular and catch lots of crappie. But I can tell you that on my body of water, the black/chart tubes above outfish them both. Your mileage may vary.

-Page 251 has your entry level Rod and reel of the Zebco variety, but even experts myself will use them. I never go to the crappie lake without my son's Zebco Micro 33 on a Zebco Slingshot rod (neither of which are featured in the catalog). Even when my son isn't with me, I still fish with it. Great panfish rig. Use 4 lb mono on a microlite combo so you can still get good casting distance, feel, and some finesse with these small tube-jigs. Sometimes the crappie bite is very soft, and if your tackle is too heavy you can miss strikes. I have tried 6# and have found everything is just easier with 4#. Especially if you are using slip bobber rigs. I also have two older Walmart ultralight spin combos that work well for me, I got them at the Clayton Walmart years ago for trout stream fishing but they've caught a lot more panfish than trout. But alas, now I'm delving into Jeremiah territory and this is his thread, so I'll move on.

-Page 262 will get you set up with slip bobber rigs. But I will let Jeremiah explain how all that works. I'm just the inventory manager. Item H is what is in my tacklebox, for when I'm not trolling and i want to keep the bait suspended and slowly worked/twitched around submerged structure.

-Page 334 Item J size 6. Sometimes minners on a gold hook are the way to go. It's how my pappy brought me up catching crappie. Never heard of a crappie jig. Something about the gold hook works better, probably a shiny thing gets their attention in dark or murky water.

There's 100 more things you can buy for crappie but above is a good start.

Panthers65

Outstanding bit of information. Always been a bass fisher, started trout fishing in the hooch a few years ago when I got my kayak, and always liked inshore fishing, but my son is now 5 and loves fishing. None of those are real conducive for a 5 year old to fish, so I'm looking into doing a lot of crapie fishing this year. This is awesome information.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Ditto on monkey milk and Black/Chartreuse for crappie. You could literally never fish any other colors and catch a pile of them. There will be the odd day that they randomly want a certain shade of orange, blue, red or something, but 90% of the time, it's either Chartreuse or Black/Chartreuse for me. And I have a ton of crappie gear. Just the best overall for consistency. I fish 4-8lb hi vis line to see light bites. Some guys pole fishing will use lines up to 20lb test to straighten hooks out when they snag though. I'll cover actual baits and techniques in part 2. This one has carried on long enough for me to start another thread.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Bass Pro/Cabela's crappie madness sale has just ended, but there are a few things still around. Spring fishing classic sale will be up next. Tackle warehouse has a few things for crappie as well and I'll specify a few things you can get from there also.

Latest posts