First Nebraska Trip!

TROUT HOUND

Just booked my room in Oshkosh for a DIY Mule Deer/Whitetail hunt in Nebraska in November. I will be hunting the Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge. I have never hunted out of state so I'm pretty doggone pumped about this one! Have any of you guys ever been there? I'm open to suggestions from those who have been. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

brownceluse

I hunt Ne every Nov. I’ve never hunted the area your hunting but drive through it every. My advice to you is pack a day pack and go deep. Public land is public land everywhere you go. It will be running with hunters. The deeper you the better. Beautiful country but way different than here. Go several days early and hike and glass. As many days as you can go early to scout the better off you’ll be. Good luck

Jim Boyd

I am excited for you!

Good luck!

TROUT HOUND

I hunt Ne every Nov. I’ve never hunted the area your hunting but drive through it every. My advice to you is pack a day pack and go deep. Public land is public land everywhere you go. It will be running with hunters. The deeper you the better. Beautiful country but way different than here. Go several days early and hike and glass. As many days as you can go early to scout the better off you’ll be. Good luck

Thank you! That's exactly what we are planning to Do! Do you hunt public land also?

brownceluse

Thank you! That's exactly what we are planning to Do! Do you hunt public land also?

No sir, but I do hunt close to public ground. I have buddy’s that do out there. The advise I gave you was based off of how they’re successful every year. A couple things will help you. Weather will keep folks home. The other being hunting all day if you can. There’s a lot of road hunters out there. Those deer figure out real quick to get to where they can’t be seen or where you can’t get them without them seeing you first. The wind can be brutal and it could be anywhere from highs in 80’s that week or highs in the single digits with lows as low as -25. Pack for both. Also if the highs are in 80’s the last 45 minutes of daylight the temperatures can drop to the 30’s. It gets cold quick in the evenings. So go prepared it’ll make it that much more enjoyable. It’s an awesome place and the folks out there are good folks!

TROUT HOUND

Holy crap man! Sounds like I really need to reconsider my clothing list. That's pretty hardcore.
No sir, but I do hunt close to public ground. I have buddy’s that do out there. The advise I gave you was based off of how they’re successful every year. A couple things will help you. Weather will keep folks home. The other being hunting all day if you can. There’s a lot of road hunters out there. Those deer figure out real quick to get to where they can’t be seen or where you can’t get them without them seeing you first. The wind can be brutal and it could be anywhere from highs in 80’s that week or highs in the single digits with lows as low as -25. Pack for both. Also if the highs are in 80’s the last 45 minutes of daylight the temperatures can drop to the 30’s. It gets cold quick in the evenings. So go prepared it’ll make it that much more enjoyable. It’s an awesome place and the folks out there are good folks!

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The weather there is weird. You could sweat the entire trip or be praying you’ll be able to feel your fingers and toes.

I was about to tell you evaluate and re-evaluate your clothing. What folks typically use around here to hunt with will make for a miserable trip out west. Layer, layer and layer. Light weight good clothing layered will save you. Have fun and good luck!!

alwayslookin

Most NWR hunts are limited draw from my experience so maybe not over-run with hunters. Either way, getting away from the crowd is never a bad idea. I'd love to hunt NE some day. Good luck!

DynamicDennis

I actually hunted that area, after paying to hunt with deer Meadows outfitters, and he did not have any whitetail spots available ( after we paid for travel, license, and the hunt). Guy was all about mule deer.
Anyways put up a lock-on, on the north end of the lake saw 2 giant deer in dark on the way to the stand. Did not see any other hunters, and that was last week in October. Pretty country.

TROUT HOUND

I was about to tell you evaluate and re-evaluate your clothing. What folks typically use around here to hunt with will make for a miserable trip out west. Layer, layer and layer. Light weight good clothing layered will save you. Have fun and good luck!!
Thanks!