Fitzgerald Agate, Georgia, for Fitzgerald, Ben Hill County, Georgia?

Artfuldodger

I've got into rockhounding a few years back and noticed this from Mindat;

Summerville Agate, River Road Agate, Fitzgerald Agate, Briar Creek Agate, Ringgold Chert, Chattahoochee County Agate, Flint River Jasper, Jefferson County Agate, Warm Springs Agate, Upatoi Creek Agate.
I've brought up River Road, Burke County(Savannah River) before. We also discussed Briar Creek Native Points in that area as well. I've also heard of Summerville Agate, some of my rockhound friends go there to the Paddy Quarry.
So what about some of the others? In particular Fitzgerald Agate. I've seen some cool stuff out of the Ocmulgee River at Lumber City.
I'm not really trying to seek one's honey holes out, just a general conversation on the subject.

Artfuldodger

Named varieties of agates, jaspers, flint, etc., have created special problems for both scientific researchers, historians, and collectors.
I think most of what is called agate in Georgia is chert and maybe chalcedony. Some of it down in Southwest Georgia that isn't chert may be agatized coral.
I think a lot of it is just what the locals call it or local collectors. Especially when it comes to native points, etc.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The only place in Georgia that has agatized coral that I know of is the Withlacoochee River in Brooks County.

Artfuldodger

The only place in Georgia that has agatized coral that I know of is the Withlacoochee River in Brooks County.
I would agree or at least I haven't seen any from any other location. So the rest of anything agate related from Southwest Georgia would be of the chert variety.
Flint River Agate was mentioned and some was found near Dawson. Have you ever seen any rocks or points that look like agate from that area? I guess under that definition having bands?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Not that I know of, Art. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Georgia agate. I have seen jasper here but it came from about 40 feet underground. Right across the road from Chehaw Park. When River Pointe subdivision was being built. It was in nodules in the 40 to 75 pound range. Good quality knapping stone too.

Artfuldodger

Here is an example of a piece of polished Summerville Agate. It's about the only location I've ever seen what I would classify as agate in Georgia. This is not my sample.
I'm not sure if it was ever knapped.
1674682172541.png

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If it's like most other agates it would need to be cooked first.

The stone us knappers call blue ice is found in Early County, and I think it is chalcedony. That stuff is harder than woodpecker lips.

Artfuldodger

This is an example of polished Savannah River Agate, Burke County. Possibly the same as Brier Creek Chert. It doesn't look as agate like as the stuff from Summerville/Taylor's Ridge.
1674683094428.png

Artfuldodger

If it's like most other agates it would need to be cooked first.

The stone us knappers call blue ice is found in Early County, and I think it is chalcedony. That stuff is harder than woodpecker lips.
Yelp, from what I remember reading, all that Savannah River chert/agate and to be cooked first.