Florida’s FWC directive on CWD in the panhandle.

Glenn

Was sent this the other day.

Hate to see them going to this direction of total open kill, but I have a feeling they found more than one infected deer.

I hunt WMAs in Jackson County and will not be hunting those areas this year because of this. Living in Leon County and not being able to take meat out of Jackson County pretty much ends it all for me.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
From the directive:

• All deer harvested from Dec. 9-10, 2023 in Holmes, Jackson and Washington counties shall be checked at a staffed FWC check station prior to transporting the deer to the possessor's domicile or a processor or taxidermist, except deer harvested on licensed game farms or hunting preserves.

I wonder why game farms and hunting preserves are exempt?

Gator89

Hate to see them going to this direction of total open kill, but I have a feeling they found more than one infected deer.

I hunt WMAs in Jackson County and will not be hunting those areas this year because of this. Living in Leon County and not being able to take meat out of Jackson County pretty much ends it all for me.

You can still debone the meat and take it home. You just can't take brains, bones and other skeletal parts out of Jackson county.

1695057364997.png

But you are not supposed to haul a carcass across the Jackson county line.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

As a kid growing up in Jackson Co. weren’t many deer. Late 60 ty.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Before they let them out of the barn. They test them. Then u shoot it.
Gotta give them a nudge before they step out of the barn. I bet they can rattle the feed bucket, that would probably work.

Glenn

I have to debone all meat from any deer I kill in GA in order to bring it home to FL. It is no big deal to debone one. I don't fool with rib cages anyway, just "filet" the muscles off the leg bones, remove back straps and tender loins, feed the rest to the coyotes.
Yes, I debone mine as well and then process it at home. Just more concerned with other aspects of hunting over there now. I’m gonna wait and see how this season goes and see what they may or may not find out.

diamondback

We have a lease in Jackson. It does need a good doe thinning where we are. But I do think they are jumping the gun until they confirm more cases.

DynamicDennis

Yes, I debone mine as well and then process it at home. Just more concerned with other aspects of hunting over there now. I’m gonna wait and see how this season goes and see what they may or may not find out.
Bones just stink up the trash can, and make it harder to store than meat only.

basshappy

BANNED
Smart move to check the deer harvested in the zone the infected deer was found in. CWD is spreading - time is the only variable in when GA sees its first case. :(

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Latest posts