Fly tying vice

jigman29

After a decade on hiatus I decided to get back into tying flies. The kids are grown and things aren't as tight as they once were so I have the time and money to do it again.
I'm amazed at all the YouTube videos to learn from. All I had was an orvis book and I pulled my hair out trying all that lol.
I've noticed vices run the gamut from 20-500 bucks and I was wondering what you folks are using. I'd like to stay under 200 if possible and was looking at the griffin odyssey spider at 79 bucks or the griffin Montana mongoose at around 200.
Any input on either would be helpful. Or if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears. I haven't found any used ones online so it'll be new I guess.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After a decade on hiatus I decided to get back into tying flies. The kids are grown and things aren't as tight as they once were so I have the time and money to do it again.
I'm amazed at all the YouTube videos to learn from. All I had was an orvis book and I pulled my hair out trying all that lol.
I've noticed vices run the gamut from 20-500 bucks and I was wondering what you folks are using. I'd like to stay under 200 if possible and was looking at the griffin odyssey spider at 79 bucks or the griffin Montana mongoose at around 200.
Any input on either would be helpful. Or if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears. I haven't found any used ones online so it'll be new I guess.
I have that Griffin Odyssey Spider, and I love it. I tie everything from #2/0 bass flies down to # 20 midges with it. Had it several years, never any problems. I would definitely recommend it as the best vice for the money out there.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I also use the griffin. It will do everything that you will be able to do or need to do.
Jeff

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Newbie myself, 6 months, and use a griffin. It is the only vice I've used but like it. The only issue I have had is the vertical post is round and thus wobbled so I solved by grinding a flat spot for the locking screw to bind to.

TomC

LOVE Regal's but I am not a huge fan of the standard Regal Jaws. The stainless Regal jaws are phenomenal but that will put you over your budget. If you want a true rotary it's pretty hard to beat a Renzetti Traveler in that price range.

gunnurse

I tie on a Regal, and have for years. Great vice. I have a post in this forum regarding a pedestal that I made for my vice on the cheap.

With all that said, buy the Griffin Odyssey Spider. If I could justify the money at this point, I’d have one. They have better access to your fly, and you can manage the tie much easier with them. I have tied on them before, so I can compare the two.