Learn Fly Tying Online July 5 and July 7 with a special On-Line edition of Fly Tying 101

Steve Hudson

Have you ever wanted to explore the fascinating world of tying your own flies? Here's your chance to learn the basics of fly tying through a special on-line introductory course, and you can enjoy it from the comfort of your own living room!

The course begins Tuesday, July 5, and wraps up on Thursday, July 7. Each session will start at 7 p.m. Eastern.

Each session will last until about 9:30 (with a break in the middle), with the second session picking up where the first session left off. Emphasis will be on learning key tying skills, and by the end of the course you'll be set to begin a lifelong journey through the fascinating world of tying your own flies!
There is no cost to take this course.

What about materials? You'll find a list of the needed materials at the end of this email. Your local fly shop (or even another tyer) should be able to help you get what you'll need.

And how about tying tools? See the list of needed basic tools below. I suggest that you visit your local fly shop to check out the many tool options that are available and to pick the tools which best suit your needs.

Drop me a PM or email (aa4bw at comcast dot net) if you have any questions about the tools or materials you'll need or if I can help to point you in the right direction to get what you need.

This class is suitable for adults as well as for focused youth. In fact, it's a great thing to do with your kids or grandkids!

Please note that you should plan to attend both sessions in order to get the most from this course.

Here is the Zoom login info for the class. The login will be the same for both sessions:

Dates: July 5 and 7. Plan to attend both sessions
Time: 7-9:30 p.m. (Eastern)
Zoom meeting number: 895 8370 9681
Meeting access code: FT101

Please feel free to share this with your fly fishing club or with others who might be interested in learning to tie flies. All are welcome!

And a request: If you plan to be a part of this class, please drop me an email at aa4bw at comcast dot net. That will be helpful in planning. Thank you!

I look forward to exploring the world of fly tying with you!

TYING MATERIALS USED IN THE COURSE:

Hooks
* Size 8 2XL or 3XL (Woolly Bugger-style) hooks
* Size 12 nymph hook, standard or 1XL length
* Size 10 or 12 dry fly hook, standard or 1XL length

Chenille:
* Green standard chenille (not Ultra Chenille). This can be basic olive-colored chenille or one of the green "sparkle chenille" varieties.
* "Ultra Chenille" (a special bonded type of chenille used to tie San Juan Worms) in red, pink, or burgundy

Yarn:
* Red yarn (blanket-type yarn)
* Pink yarn (blanket-type yarn)

Feathers:
* Green or olive marabou
* Woolly Bugger hackle feathers (natural or green-dyed "grizzly" pattern is preferred, but various colors can be used)

Beads:
* Brass fly tying beads (suitable for use with the size 8 Woolly Bugger hook)
* Glass beads (to fit the size 8 Woolly Bugger hook - red or pink)
* Bead chain (gold or silver color) similar to the pull chain on the ceiling fan in your living room. Just saying...!

Thread:
* Black fly tying thread. I recommend 3/0 thread as you start out because it's stronger and more durable than smaller threads
* Red fly tying thread, 3/0

Other materials:
* Flash material (silver or pearl)
* Ribbing wire, medium, copper or gold or silver color
* Foam sheet - 2mm, brown or tan or black
* Stranded rubber or silicone leg material

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:

1) A tying vise
2) Fly tying scissors
3) A fly tying bobbin (the tool which holds your spool of tying thread). Note that we'll be using two colors of thread...if you want to save time and not have to rethread your bobbin when changing thread, you might want to go ahead and pick up two bobbins -- use one for each color!
4) A bobbin threader tool
5) A half hitch tool (often sold as a set of three – a great deal!)
5a) A Bic ballpoint pen (similar to the Bic "Cristal 1.6 mm" or "Roundstic M" pen) [in other words, one you can take apart...]
6) Head cement: Either some Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails clear nail polish (to use as head cement)...or...some water-based head cement made for fly tying. Sally Hansen's is available at most drugstores; the water-based head cement is available at most fly shops.
7) Optional but recommended if you use Sally Hansen's for head cement: A fine-tip bottle for dispensing the head cement

Last edited: