Learn to tie the Blue Assassin Saturday, August 27, on The Tying Bench

Steve Hudson

The Blue Assassin is hands-down one of the most effective midge mergers I've ever used, especially on tailwater such as the Chattahoochee Tailwater below Buford Dam or on the Toccoa.
Developed by Chris Scalley of River Through Atlanta Guide Service, the Blue Assassin has given me many great days on Georgia's Chattahoochee and Toccoa rivers as well as on countless other streams across the eastern United States. Yes, it's predominant hue is blue - not what you normally expect to see in a fly. But there is no arguing with the fact that it works really, really well!
In this Saturday's edition of The Tying Bench, you'll learn how to tie Blue Assassins of your own. I usually tie the fly on size 18 hooks, but I recommend going with size 14 or 16 hooks while you learn.
I think you'll enjoy tying and fishing the Blue Assassin. Meanwhile, if you see Chris Scalley on the river, be sure to thank him for developing this great pattern. Then tie one of your Blue Assassins to your tippet and get ready to take on some trout!

Materials List
Hook:
Curved-shank midge/emerger hook, size 14-20. Straight shank hooks can also be used and may be easier for less experienced tyers.
Bead: Silver tungsten or brass bead to fit hook
Thread: Size 6/0 gray or black
Tail: A few strands pulled from a piece of white Antron yarn
Abdomen: Two or three strands of flash material tied in at bend and wrapped forward. Try pearl, blue, or silver.
Ribbing: Extra fine silver wire wrapped over abdomen (but experiment with other colors)
Thorax: Blue dubbing blend

ZOOM MEETING INFO
Time:
August 27, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 892 5815 3422
Passcode: FlyTying27 [two capitals, no spaces]
I look forward to visiting with you Saturday!

LOOKING AHEAD
To help you plan ahead, here's what's coming up on The Tying Bench!

Sept. 3: Labor Day Weekend -- no Tying Bench this weekend as Steve is going to see the grandkids!
Sept. 10: The Woolly Bugger (A Tie It & Try It kit is available for this pattern!)
Sept. 17: The Articulated Super Woolly (A Tie It & Try It kit is available for this pattern!)
Sept. 24: Pheasant Tail Nymph (A Tie It & Try It kit is available for this pattern!)