Flying Squirrels

CardsFan

One of the simple pleasures of visiting my Dad in Louisville, Kentucky is the nightly fly-in of the flyers. Just before dark, you can catch glimpses of them gliding in from other trees to the "feeder tree", where my Dad places some peanut butter near the base of the tree. The little critters love peanut butter (as I do!). Over the years, the little critters have become tolerant of people standing close to the feeder which allows for some excellent photo ops.

These aren't great quality photos, but they are decent close up looks at critters that are not uncommon, but are uncommon to actually see. That night we counted 15 total at one time on the tree.

Attachments

• CPY_0001.jpg
    CPY_0001.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 465
  • CPY_0002.jpg
    CPY_0002.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 451
  • CPY_0003.jpg
    CPY_0003.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 456

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Great shots of the little fellers!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Cool critters. They are also the most carnivorus rodents (Sciuridae) we have.

chadf

Them jokers make noise in the attic for being so small.....
Cage one and they go wild. Lol

Shug

Great pictures, I've only seen one of them in my life, and it was dead. Wish there was more of them around this neck of the woods

wvdawg

Staff member
Cool critters and good shots of the peanut butter bandits!

carver

Had to evict 5 in a nest in one of my deer stands,had them climing all over the outside of the box stand when I poked the nest.

CardsFan

I'm glad folks enjoy seeing them. They are a hoot to watch gliding in.

My Dad has a website he has bult over many years of critter pics and setting up X10 wireless cameras in various areas, including bird nests. He has captured a Robin families nest building, egg laying, and birth in several videos, and sometimes snakes raid the nest (which he caught as well).

If you have kids, I recommend purusing through his site and let them watch the videos. There are no worries of questionable material in his wildlife videos whatsoever. I think most folks who enjoy backard wildlife will find many of them very interesting.

http://howpeg.com/