Foodplots spring and fall mixes?

SRShunter

If you only could use 3 types of seed which 3 would you use? Spring and fall mixes for deer? So far my 3 for spring would be iron clay peas, sorghum, and field corn- only thing I can really grow good....and deer love the icp's. Fall would be oats from wi, winter wheat and cereal rye. I keep trying clover, but not having much luck, going to get it right one year? brassicas too my turnips and radishes look awesome this year and the deer have hammered them the last couple of weeks.

shdw633

My spring would be millet, alyce clover and sunn hemp. My fall would be brassicas, cereal rye and winter wheat, I would just top dress the alyce clover with the fall seeds and let that run until it dies out from frost.

Buckstop

For the summer, it would be Buckwheat, Sunn Hemp and I & C Peas. These did really well last two years for us. Buckwheat jumps up fast and gives the others time to get established and the Sunn Hemp gives the Peas some structure and cover for browse resistance. The Sunn Hemp gets browsed heavy too but so far has kept up with it.

For the fall/winter, if picking only three, it would be Oats, Cereal Rye and Crimson Clover.

sghoghunter

This is the first yr I've actually had a tractor so I'm new to growing good plots. I bought next to where I live and I planted a small plot next to the woods just to try one out here. I planted a long narrow strip in whitetail oats,crimson clover and threw in some purple top turnips and they are wearing it out. Needless to say I plan on this again next season. Planning on doing some millet and corn this spring

SRShunter

For the summer, it would be Buckwheat, Sunn Hemp and I & C Peas. These did really well last two years for us. Buckwheat jumps up fast and gives the others time to get established and the Sunn Hemp gives the Peas some structure and cover for browse resistance. The Sunn Hemp gets browsed heavy too but so far has kept up with it.

For the fall/winter, if picking only three, it would be Oats, Cereal Rye and Crimson Clover.
Gonna try that summer mix, when do you normally plant it? After all the frost is surely gone or later than that?

SRShunter

This is the first yr I've actually had a tractor so I'm new to growing good plots. I bought next to where I live and I planted a small plot next to the woods just to try one out here. I planted a long narrow strip in whitetail oats,crimson clover and threw in some purple top turnips and they are wearing it out. Needless to say I plan on this again next season. Planning on doing some millet and corn this spring
Foodplotting can be addicting

KILLNTM

For fall, I like oats, crimson clover and chicory. This combination gives me something to hunt over during deer season but the clover and chicory really do their thing in the spring and summer. For this reason I typically don't need to bother with a spring planting. If I do plant anything in the spring it's usually buckwheat.

SRShunter

For fall, I like oats, crimson clover and chicory. This combination gives me something to hunt over during deer season but the clover and chicory really do their thing in the spring and summer. For this reason I typically don't need to bother with a spring planting. If I do plant anything in the spring it's usually buckwheat.
I'm all about saving a dollar, good deal

Buckstop

Gonna try that summer mix, when do you normally plant it? After all the frost is surely gone or later than that?

Usually late May or early June. Prior to the heavy heat. Also it helps if the big ag crops in the area are already planted. Stand a better chance of not getting wiped out from over browse at emergence.

We add apache arrowleaf clover to the fall mix and it carries in to May if rain is good.

SRShunter

My spring would be millet, alyce clover and sunn hemp. My fall would be brassicas, cereal rye and winter wheat, I would just top dress the alyce clover with the fall seeds and let that run until it dies out from frost.
Do deer like millet, thought that was more for dove

shdw633

Do deer like millet, thought that was more for dove

They will eat it when it matures so we use it for the protection it gives the clover and anything else that we plant in with it plus it keeps the weeds at bay during the late spring/early summer months, then when it runs it's course in about 3 months time it either dies away or the deer eat it leaving the Alyce clover behind. It's also can create cover for newborn fawns in the summer months if you wait and plant it in May.