For The First Time This Spring

Redbow

I heard the "Bob White" call of several Quail this morning around the woods bordering our neighborhood. It was so sweet and good to hear the males whistling their song perhaps trying to whistle up a mate. Maybe by chance they will hatch out a good brood in the coming days, or maybe they already have.

I only saw one Quail last year right here in our yard, it appeared to be lonely and searching for more of its kind. He approached me within 10 feet or so then flew off towards a wooded area. Next day the Quail was back but I never saw him again after that encounter.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I heard the "Bob White" call of several Quail this morning around the woods bordering our neighborhood. It was so sweet and good to hear the males whistling their song perhaps trying to whistle up a mate. Maybe by chance they will hatch out a good brood in the coming days, or maybe they already have.

I only saw one Quail last year right here in our yard, it appeared to be lonely and searching for more of its kind. He approached me within 10 feet or so then flew off towards a wooded area. Next day the Quail was back but I never saw him again after that encounter.
The story is told of Geronimo being shuttled around various reservations in the east and finally being in Ft Sill OK ,I believe it was. When he arrived there as close as he would ever be again to his home, he heard a coyote calling. That was reportedly a very emotional time for him. Some similarity to your story!

Redbow

I would not doubt that there are more Coyote's than Quail in our area. They are even over on the beach islands. They can survive over there because the islands are also eat up with Deer,

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I would not doubt that there are more Coyote's than Quail in our area. They are even over on the beach islands. They can survive over there because the islands are also eat up with Deer,
Never heard that thought before but it’s dead on right! I’ve shot a few wild quail when young but never enough. A wonderful little bird it is.

Redbow

Never heard that thought before but it’s dead on right! I’ve shot a few wild quail when young but never enough. A wonderful little bird it is.
Ain't no better eating to me that a good ole fried up Quail, with field peas and boiled taters and a pan of good ole home made biscuits.

When I was a kid I Quail hunted there were plenty of them around. My Uncle kept bird dogs he hunted Quail during the season about every saturday and sometimes during the week-days. He had 7 kids and a Wife to feed, my Uncle often paid the doctor with a big mess of Quail instead of money back in the day for doctoring his kids. Such times are long gone from this Earth now.

ucfireman

Heard them growing up in the late 70s early 80s. Been a while but don't spend lots of time in ag country.
Mostly suburbs becoming urban. HATE IT!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I do like to hear them myself, the last real covey I saw here was maybe 15 years ago. I did hear one last week though, almost thought I’d imagined it.

huntersluck

I miss hearing quail , haven't heard one in years. My Dad and I did plenty of quail hunting when I was growing up. When the population got so bad in my neck of the woods Dad sold his dogs. He is 85 now and can't walk that much anymore but I'll guarantee he still would go if he could

specialk

scarce as hen's teeth....use to bust a covey or two every year rabbit hunting but hadn't seen any in a few years....see a good bit of snipes....

Core Lokt

scarce as hen's teeth....use to bust a covey or two every year rabbit hunting but hadn't seen any in a few years....see a good bit of snipes....
You must be seeing them around wet areas? They ore on the lake on the floating tussocks.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I have a pair nesting on the back fence of my pasture and another pair out in front of the house too.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I heard two (2) today in Chester Ga. That’s out from Cochran a little ways.

crackerdave

I guess loss of habitat and fireants eating the hatchlings have about wiped 'em out here in west central Georgia.
Used to hear them a lot,but I haven't heard one in years.