For those going out West!

Jetjockey

I just got back from running dogs in NE and drove home through the heart of quail/pheasant country in KS. Looks like there should be some great opportunities for both this year. KS quail numbers are up across the state, and the quail are on their second hatch where I was in NE. NE pheasants are up, and up a lot in parts of the state.

For the quail hunters out there, IMO Kansas is easily the best quail state in the US. There are tons of birds, and tons of public land to hunt. Not to mention the mixed bag of quail and pheasants that overlap in large portions of the state. Good luck to those heading West this year, I think you’ll be happy with the opportunities.

One of my Brittany’s getting ready for tria season at summer camp!

Attachments

• D99484BB-4650-4111-917F-1AAFA71B4AA2.jpeg
    D99484BB-4650-4111-917F-1AAFA71B4AA2.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 10

AceOfTheBase

Can you name a couple counties in KS that look good for both ? TIA
loved working my brittany on birds pre-season, Jed-RIP..

Jetjockey

Can you name a couple counties in KS that look good for both ? TIA
loved working my brittany on birds pre-season, Jed-RIP..

Haha. Nope! KS does a great job with publishing open areas, estimates, etc. If youve never been there, for the most part, the further West you go, the less quail, and more pheasants you will find. I’ll say this, North Central is a good place to start. The further West of a vertical line between Smith Center And Great Bend you go, the more pheasants you’ll find, by the time you hit Colby, you’ll be mostly in pheasant country. Get Onyx, and good luck.