Ford F150 Spare Tire Issue

SWAMPFOX

I have a 2003 Ford F150 4x4 extended cab. To remove the spare from under the back frame you attach a "key" to the end of the jack handle and insert it through a hole in the bumper back into a dark recess above the spare. The is supposed to be some plastic "funnel" type guide to align things up but it's been long gone. So to get the spare down is a major pain.

I'm wondering any one here has an idea on how to remove the "key" fitting that is in the winch that lowers the spare? I've heard that once you do this, you can then use the normal end of the jack handle without the "key" to operate the winch to lower the spare.

Thanks.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I have a 2003 Ford F150 4x4 extended cab. To remove the spare from under the back frame you attach a "key" to the end of the jack handle and insert it through a hole in the bumper back into a dark recess above the spare. The is supposed to be some plastic "funnel" type guide to align things up but it's been long gone. So to get the spare down is a major pain.

I'm wondering any one here has an idea on how to remove the "key" fitting that is in the winch that lowers the spare? I've heard that once you do this, you can then use the normal end of the jack handle without the "key" to operate the winch to lower the spare.

Thanks.
I think I took a long, or several long extensions and a socket, hammered the socket on to get the spare down. Wish I could help more but that's been several years back now.