Fort Stewart hog hunting clothing, boots, etc?

Guitar Guy

Hello gents. I have decided to start hunting Fort Stewart for hogs this year. I have hunted hogs on more dry versions of public land and chased elk out west, but haven't hunted in swampy areas before. I don't plan on hunting Fort Stewart when it's blazing hot, but will certainly prepare for bugs either way. In terms of clothing, I have some brush pants and a couple of different pairs of regular hunting boots, as well as some snake boots that aren't really meant to be submerged for long periods of time.

As far as clothing and boots from the waist down for a Fort Stewart hog hunt, any recommendations on pieces of gear I should consider that are comfortable for miles and miles, and will also make life a lot easier? Appreciate the suggestions.

Hillbilly stalker

I have found "Frog legs" to be awful handy hunting in any swamp. They are your pick of boot (rubber snake boot is my choice) with a flexible thin chap that can be worn pulled up or rolled down. They are in essence a wader type boot sewn by the Amish and glued also. I've had a pair for several years and they have never leaked. Most coon hunters wear them because of the water. They only cost an extra $40 or so more than a regular boot does. Pulled up they offer water protection and briar protection. Shop around the hunting sights, there are many deals on them. I used to get mine from Windwalker outdoors. Amazon is much higher. Its nice to be able to cross a slew instead of walking way around them.

685-five-star-froglegs.jpg

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Personally, I never wore anything different out there for hog hunting that was different from what I wore to deer hunt. Snake boots all year long and temperature appropriate clothing always did the trick.

Of course, it didn't take me to long to discover that I could kill just as many hogs on the high, sandy ridges out there as I could in the swamps.

Guitar Guy

Of course, it didn't take me to long to discover that I could kill just as many hogs on the high, sandy ridges out there as I could in the swamps.

Yeah - I was wondering that. If I can still have a shot at plenty of hogs and only have to step through some marshy areas here and there, that would be my preference.

earlthegoat2

I always used a largish hip pack with shoulder straps and a camel back underneath that fit just over the top of the pack portion.

You could also find something similar with built in hydration. Ideally you would have a pack big enough to carry out a quartered hog. (Though I am unsure of regulations that make make quartering and packing out hogs questionable. Better look into that. It’s been a few years since I’ve hunted there)

I always wore rubber snake boots no matter which area I was going into. Still do for upland middle GA where I hunt now. If you get good ones they are not bad for walking in.

There are numerous places where I could find hogs only a few hundred yards off the road or less. Nearly all of these spots were in wetter nastier areas.