Fox vs Dixon

Huntinfool

Curious, for those who have both vests like I do; what are your thoughts on the two vests? Admittedly, I don't have a numbered Fox vest. But, it's the same vest.

In a way, I like all the leather. But, in another, it's kind of not practical. I feel like the Dixon was designed for hunting and the Fox, while a really nice and well designed vest, is more designed as a collector's item.

Thoughts?

Dupree

Curious, for those who have both vests like I do; what are your thoughts on the two vests? Admittedly, I don't have a numbered Fox vest. But, it's the same vest.

In a way, I like all the leather. But, in another, it's kind of not practical. I feel like the Dixon was designed for hunting and the Fox, while a really nice and well designed vest, is more designed as a collector's item.

Thoughts?
I have both. I’ve never hunted the fox vest mainly because it doesn’t have magnets on the seat. I think the Dixon will always hold more value and is all around a better vest.

My son has worn his fox vest a few times. He prefers his ol Tom because it isn’t so heavy.

CassGA

I dont own a Dixon, but do have a Fox. I modified the seat to mimic the speed seat of my old Tactical Tat'r which made it much better. I agree that the Fox is well made, but a bit heavy. I hunted with it last year, but I think I'll go back to Tat'r this year and save the Fox as a keepsake.

Huntinfool

Definitely agree that not having the magnets in the seat was a big mistake. That is one of the best things about the Dixon.

I'm sure I will hunt with it a bit. But I can't see any vest taking the place of the Dixon.

I will say, I bought one of the Sitka vests a couple of years ago and my son uses it. I know what people think about Sitka...but it is a VERY well designed vest.

BASS1FUN

I think my hunting buddy has a Dixon, I have a total of 6 vests, 4 Ol Toms ( in which I loved ), but I bought a Cabelas deluxe turkey lounger last year and that’s all I need, it has compartments for your calls but my Ol Tom clothing is where I keep my calls and I put food, drinks and turkey game bag in the lounger. I can sit for hours without having to scoot around from a sore butt from the cushion from a turkey vest , super comfortable

Gaswamp

The Fox was too heavy in my eyes. Gadget shown me his special Dixon vest. It looked really good. I was vestless back when the dixon came out. ONly recently went back to wear one with the knight and Hale rng200. Heard the sitka was unique

Gadget

The Fox was too heavy in my eyes. Gadget shown me his special Dixon vest. It looked really good. I was vestless back when the dixon came out. ONly recently went back to wear one with the knight and Hale rng200. Heard the sitka was unique

Hey my ears were burning…..how things going? Hope everything is good. I’ve got my two Dixons and a friend just called and said he wanted to sell his new unopened Fox for a steal so waiting on it in the mail right now, wasn’t planning on buying one. I’ll probably just continue to use my Dixons and leave the Fox new in the box.
Headed to Florida for the opener on public as usual, then hunt some public and private here. Then probably headed to Texas,

Last edited:

Gadget

Fox came in today. New in the box. Got an awesome deal on it, if not I wouldn’t have bought one. Looks nice, haven’t taken out of box yet. I’ll probably just stay with using my Dixons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 16

Gadget

Thoughts?

Now that I got mine out and tried it on I can tell you what I think.
The leather, I’ll have to see how it holds up to hunting and the conditions over time. Right now it doesn’t bother me but I’ve never seen leather used on a hunting vest before so don’t know what to think. Visually and functionally don’t see a problem with it at this time.
The magnets were a problem on the Dixon, my prototype Dixon had magnets with no buckle and would flop down all the time. It was a major complaint I made to Mossyoak during testing and what led to the buckle being added. Also there has been some wear with the magnets trying to pull thru the fabric over time. That’s probably why they deleted the magnets.
The other major complaint from me was the mouth call holder on the Dixon, to me it was impractical and unusable. It was in a very bad location under the box call pocket, you couldn’t see it and access easily so I never used it. They fixed that with the Fox but at a price. Now they had to move and change the angle of the crow and owl call pouch. The location and angle on the Dixon for the crow and owl call are much better than the Fox, that’s the trade off they made for moving the mouth call holder up.
Other than that everything looks good on the Fox, very similar to the Dixon everywhere else. They made big middle interior pockets water proof, updated the fabric for the better on the interior pockets that are against your body. Some minor updates on zipper and materials which might be slightly better than the Dixon in the long run.
One problem some people are having with their Dixon are the shoulders straps wearing out or dry rotting, this happened on my prototype and why I’m now hunting with my limited edition numbered vest now.
I will probably load the Fox up and start hunting with it next week In Florida so can give an update on the use in the field.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Dupree

Now that I got mine out and tried it on I can tell you what I think.
The leather, I’ll have to see how it holds up to hunting and the conditions over time. Right now it doesn’t bother me but I’ve never seen leather used on a hunting vest before so don’t know what to think. Visually and functionally don’t see a problem with it at this time.
The magnets were a problem on the Dixon, my prototype Dixon had magnets with no buckle and would flop down all the time. It was a major complaint I made to Mossyoak during testing and what led to the buckle being added. Also there has been some wear with the magnets trying to pull thru the fabric over time. That’s probably why they deleted the magnets.
The other major complaint from me was the mouth call holder on the Dixon, to me it was impractical and unusable. It was in a very bad location under the box call pocket, you could see it and access easily so I never used it. They fixed that with the Fox but at a price. Now they had to move and change the angle of the crow and owl call pouch. The location and angle on the Dixon for the crow and owl call are much better than the Fox, that’s the trade off they made for moving the mouth call holder up.
Other than that everything looks good on the Fox, very similar to the Dixon everywhere else. They made big middle interior pockets water proof, updated the fabric for the better on the interior pockets that are against your body. Some minor updates on zipper and materials which might be slightly better than the Dixon in the long run.
One problem some people are having with their Dixon are the shoulders straps wearing out or dry rotting, this happened on my prototype and why I’m now hunting with my limited edition numbered vest now.
I will probably load the Fox up and start hunting with it next week In Florida so can give an update on the use in the field.
My straps were getting frayed on my Dixon. I had a bandaid added by moonshine leatherworks. I went back and found pics from his instagram.

Attachments

• IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 18

Gadget

Thanks for that, I was talking to Sheldon from Mossy Oak yesterday, he’s one the main players behind the development of the Dixon, I tested three different prototypes during an entire season and gave feedback for the team. He knows others with strap problem as well. The straps on my prototype have worn completely thru on both sides, my numbered vest is starting to fray now. I was thinking of buying two new sets of claw gun straps, which is exactly what the Dixon vest straps are, then having them sewn on and completely remove the old ones, but seeing what you’ve done there looks simple and effective so maybe I’ll just try something like that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 12

Gadget

So this is another fix they did with the Fox, they changed the strap setup so now it would be easier to fix or replace and probably not wear as quickly.
It’s like this on top and bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 13

Huntinfool

Thanks Gadget. Always appreciate your input. All great points on the comparison.

I don't actually mind the location of the mouth call pouch on the Dixon because I always put the calls in it in the same order, so I know by feel which is which and not being able to see it isn't really an issue for me.

I never thought that the gun claw straps were necessary honestly. Thought they were unnecessarily big and thick. I get the point of what they were trying to do. But I always thought they could have used a lighter weight strap that would still stay put. Sound like they've started wearing out or rotting on some vests though.

I've been lucky with my Dixon so far. For the most part, everything still is is good shape and isn't falling apart. I do love the magnets and they haven't started to wear through yet. But I totally agree that the seat falls down when I don't want it to. Wish they were stronger. I think a stronger magnet would have solved a lot of that (but definitely not all).

Seat systems seem to be the weak link on vests.

Gadget

Oh and forgot another change I meant to mention, they removed the shell holder and replaced it with a pocket. I had to stop using the shell holder, they eventually got stretched out and I was losing shells. Now I’ll use that zipper pocket they put there to hold shells or put them in the side pocket on the edge of the vest.

There was some testing of different straps, the claw had a lot of grip so never would slide down off the shoulders. I like them myself. The Fox straps seems nice too, won’t know for sure until I start hunting with it next week. Once I hunt with it and put some miles on I’ll know.

fountain

The Dixon was made for use with conservation in mind. The Fox was made for money plain and simple.
Dixon will win the use category. I wish badly could find one. Also wish I had sold my fox vest for the stupid money they were bringing this time last year as well. I’ll never use it

Dupree

The Dixon was made for use with conservation in mind. The Fox was made for money plain and simple.
Dixon will win the use category. I wish badly could find one. Also wish I had sold my fox vest for the stupid money they were bringing this time last year as well. I’ll never use it
They are still bringing pretty good money.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.png
    IMG_2685.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2686.png
    IMG_2686.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 9

Huntinfool

fountain, I'll sell you my Dixon for the $7000 they are asking on ebay right now! :ROFLMAO:

It's ridiculous that people pay that much for a turkey vest. I was telling my son the other day that I actually bought two of them when they came out. Thought I was stealing money from someone when I sold the second one for probably $300.

He will (hopefully) be sad when I die. But I know he's looking forward to inheriting that vest!

Dupree

I bought mine for significantly less than the cheapest one on ebay, even the used ones.
I bought 3 numbered vests directly from mossy oak. I haven’t even hunted in mine. My son has wore his a few times but said he prefers his ol Tom because it isn’t so heavy. If I had it to do over, I’d likely have only bought 1 for collector value one day.
My son will have the memory of us sitting outside the mossy oak store all night long in the freezing cold though.

fountain

I meant I wish I had sold mine for the 5,000 they were bringing about this time last year. I only got one and now honestly I wish I had 2. I didn’t’ have any intentions of buying one but did. I’ve got 2 little girls and wish I had one to put up for each. Not big deal but would be neat for them to have one day.
Personally, I wish I had a Dixon for myself. The Dixon is the “ultimate “ for me.

The Fox is nice and I like what it stands for, but behind the wool, it was a money scheme plain and simple. It worked for too