Fraudulent Land Listings !

Eudora

A little warning on purchasing land where the owners address is not the same as the piece of land. I own some land in Jasper County GA and live in Gwinnett (until I build there). Someone fraudulently listed the land with an agent and tried to sell it as me. The agent received the listing lead via a referral and never met the "fake" me but corresponded via email, phone and text since his "wife was very ill" and could not meet. She had to climb over the gate to get on my land to take pics since he didn't supply a combination to the lock (hmmm .... 'ya think?). Only way I was alerted was by a neighbor who saw the for sale sign and texted me that they were unhappy to see us putting our land up for sale and not building there as planned. Took a bunch of convincing and phone calls with the agent to remove the listing from the multiple listing services, but not until after countless people took the liberty to walk all around our property ! The listing broadcast over multiple real estate companies websites, even when it was pulled from the listing services, so people are still seeing it. Seems this is going on as crooks scour tax records and look for unimproved land (no one living on it) with a different mailing address. They work with a crooked lawyer or someone who can fake the the forged documents that are notarized and by law, the county clerk has to record the deed. Can be a mess if you bought property that was not from the real owner. Sheriff's Dept was notified and a fraud report made. So glad a neighbor alerted us to this ! Double check that listing !

Jim Boyd

Wow is right.

Someone knew you were not there a lot….,

transfixer

A little warning on purchasing land where the owners address is not the same as the piece of land. I own some land in Jasper County GA and live in Gwinnett (until I build there). Someone fraudulently listed the land with an agent and tried to sell it as me. The agent received the listing lead via a referral and never met the "fake" me but corresponded via email, phone and text since his "wife was very ill" and could not meet. She had to climb over the gate to get on my land to take pics since he didn't supply a combination to the lock (hmmm .... 'ya think?). Only way I was alerted was by a neighbor who saw the for sale sign and texted me that they were unhappy to see us putting our land up for sale and not building there as planned. Took a bunch of convincing and phone calls with the agent to remove the listing from the multiple listing services, but not until after countless people took the liberty to walk all around our property ! The listing broadcast over multiple real estate companies websites, even when it was pulled from the listing services, so people are still seeing it. Seems this is going on as crooks scour tax records and look for unimproved land (no one living on it) with a different mailing address. They work with a crooked lawyer or someone who can fake the the forged documents that are notarized and by law, the county clerk has to record the deed. Can be a mess if you bought property that was not from the real owner. Sheriff's Dept was notified and a fraud report made. So glad a neighbor alerted us to this ! Double check that listing !

I would report the real estate agent if I were you , they should have verified they were speaking with the actual owner, especially given they couldn't meet and didn't provide combination to gate , evidently a very inexperienced agent ?

Latest posts