Fruit trees

bubbafowler

I'm looking to plant about 5 fruit trees. I want something that my girls will enjoy, but also something the deer will as well. I'm thinking apple and pear. Coweta County where I'm planting. An ideas or suggestions/ words of advice would be appreciated.

ShortMagFan

I’ve got a variety of pear trees. I want to 25-30 trees in total. They were planted a over a couple years 5-7 years ago. Once they started bearing fruit they’ve been great. A real bumper crop this year with trees dropping fruit from August 1 and some trees still holding fruit due to the different types I planted.

My only complaint is about 3 years in a row where a late frost meant no fruit. That and all the broken limbs that were the result of the bumper crop this year

I’m in South Carolina and got my trees from Hallman’s. It’s been a few years since I looked by my memory is they have a lot of good information on their website and in their catalog

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pears do better than apples on our place in mid GA. This year they were LOADED.

SakoL61R

Dixie Delights from The Wildlife Group in Alabama. By far the best eating pear I’ve planted. This, out of 18 different varieties I’ve planted since 2009.
Crunchy, sweet, and juicy. Them boys are smiling for a reason!
Ripens Sep-Oct. Still had a few hanging a week ago. No disease,no fire blight. Heavy producer. Deer consistently pick these over all others until none are left. We bring bucketfuls home most years.
56DC031E-6B1F-497A-8981-67FD076C4114.jpeg

AugustaDawg

Dixie Delights from The Wildlife Group in Alabama. By far the best eating pear I’ve planted. This, out of 18 different varieties I’ve planted since 2009.
Ripens Sep-Oct. Still had a few hanging a week ago. No disease,no fire blight. Heavy producer. Deer consistently pick these over all others until none are left. We bring bucketfuls home most years.
View attachment 1051092
Does this one need a pollinator?

SRShunter

View attachment 1051092
What would be your 2nd favorite. The runner up???

SakoL61R

Does this one need a pollinator?
Unsure as the 5 Dixies I have are in an orchard with 23 other mixed varieties from 3 different nurseries.
Best answer to that question would be to call Allen Deese at TWG directly and ask. You could also
do a search on pear pollination groups and the different compatibility of varieties.

Buster

I would check for disease resistance unless you plan on tending them a great deal
fire blight is a real bummer

SRShunter

I bought 3 dr. Deer pears from chestnut hills nursery in Alachua, fl. They have only been in the ground for a year and are loaded with pears. Only pear trees I have planted that have produced their 1st year. Granted they were probably a couple years old when I planted them. The pears are still hanging on the trees so time will tell if the deer like them soon enough. Also planted wild deer pear from mossy oak native nursery. They were tiny trees, but have grown alot, probably some of my fastest growing trees, but no pears as of yet. They have been in the ground for two years

bhouston

Pear trees from Hallman, Little Mountain, S.C.. They have some proprietary species that will drop pears from September to December. The trophy, docs, stoney hill and others are the best - they are blight resistant and are shipped in excellent containers.

Jim Boyd

Pear trees from Hallman, Little Mountain, S.C.. They have some proprietary species that will drop pears from September to December. The trophy, docs, stoney hill and others are the best - they are blight resistant and are shipped in excellent containers.

I second Hallman’s being great folks too.

I planted 52 this year, 5 different species.

They were 5-7’ tall when planted, a few of them are now 11-14’ tall.

Really looking forward to what happens in a few years.