Pear Trees not producing

Bones

I probably should have asked for help some years back. I do not remember what type pear trees I planted, It has been over 10 years since they were planted. I even took a soil sample and was told what type and how much fertilizer to put around each tree to produce fruit. From the very beginning I would and have gotten hundreds of blooms which turned into pears. The problem is the pears only reached the size of a marble and have never gotten any bigger. This has happened every year. After the soil sample and getting the advice from a horticulturist of what the soil was lacking I thought I had the problem solved. This was about 5 years ago but the problem of nickel sized fruit is still there so I gave up. The trees are beautiful when in bloom but I did not buy and plant for ornamentals. Anybody got any suggestions or know why this happens?

Bones

kayaksteve

I’ve seen ornamental pear trees bought and sold for pear trees a couple times before. Either by mistake or intentionally, who knows? But are you sure they are a pear producing variety?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you bought an ornamental pear variety instead of a fruiting variety.

Bones

Thank you for the quick response. That answered a question that I have wondered about for a long time. As the saying goes you cannot make chicken soup out of chicken poop. In this case I could not make an ornamental pear tree bear fruit like a eating fruiting pear tree. Good information here.

Thanks Bones