“2023” walk through the woods.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
What are y’all seeing. Sawtooths are light this year. Tons of greenery, water oaks seem to be loaded. Apparently I have to wait at least another year for the resident white oaks to mature enough for acorns. Lots of green muscadines. One known female persimmon doesn’t have visible fruit, it’s a tall tree so maybe I just can’t see any yet. One Kieffer pear has a good many pears on it, chestnut trees still need another year, but they’re healthy and growing.
Two scarlet and two over cup oaks me and the youngest planted are still living, even after a dead sweet gum fell on one of them.
Starting to see fawns and even a poult or two on occasion.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My sawtooths got fried by frost but still have a decent crop looks like . Native oaks around me seem to be loaded . One of the heaviest persimmon crops I can remember . These rains we’ve been getting for the last month have all the browse looking mighty fine . Went to my lease today and 3 year old clear cut, pines looks like a head high deer buffet .
Seeing plenty of fawns but unfortunately haven’t seen a single turkey poult . Did see a fine covey of young quail today

DocBar

The usuals are getting hit pretty good; beggar lice, ragweed, briars, plum saplings. I hinge cut a few winged elms a couple years ago when I was making some thickets and am surprised how much they like those stump sprouts, even in the summer. Persimmons that had a good crop last year look mostly empty this year so that’s a bummer. Bumper crop of blackberries this year though. IMG_7324.jpegIMG_7323.jpegIMG_7322.jpegIMG_7321.jpegIMG_7310.jpeg

fireman32

All this rain has the natural browse exploding this year. Still seeing ragweed and greenbrier being nipped. Kieffer pears are falling, appears that squirrels are the only thing eating them. Some older turkey scratching sign in my food plot, I’m ready for fall weather.

Redbow

Nice shots fellas, I would have to pick a few of those Blackberries and make a pie.

fireman32

Beauty berry in full production, ragweed still being nipped. Sulfur and mineral block not being used much at all. Guess they prefer the trophy rock. Found a turkey feather near a dust bowl in my food plot/orchard. One of the few chestnuts loaded up. Won’t be long and it will be planting time.IMG_3983.jpeg

fireman32

Mowed all of the small field/orchard for the first time this year. Lots of grasshoppers, hopefully the turkeys that have been coming through will get a belly full.
Scumplins are about done, beauty berry still wide open. Not seeing much deer sign, deer typically use my little 40 acres more during the winter it seems. Maybe the chestnuts planted in the field will draw them out.IMG_4078.jpeg

fireman32

Walked around another part of my place today, trimming shooting lanes and such. Lots of turkey scratching, a mineral stump or two that’s being eaten. Even found what’s left of a possum I think.IMG_4085.jpeg

fireman32

Mighty dry around here. Still not seeing much sign at my house, but just down the road has a few fresh scrapes. Chestnuts have fallen, waiting for the deer to find them.IMG_4135.jpeg