Acorn and Mast report

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Dooly Co.
Sawtooths, Water oaks and willow oaks have a good crop of acorns going. I have two white oaks that should be old enough to produce acorns (24) years old, but it’s another barren year. Maybe next year.
One southern red oak has a few acorns, it’s mostly ignored during season.
No persimmons here, maybe the late frost is the culprit on those.
Chestnut trees are full of catkins, still a waiting game on them.
Plenty of greenery in the woods, should be some fat does and fawns this year.

Jim Boyd

I have not checked any of the oaks but the persimmons are throwing juvenile fruit at an unusual (to me) rate.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with wild mast but my pecan trees appear to be loaded.

? for rain.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I have not checked any of the oaks but the persimmons are throwing juvenile fruit at an unusual (to me) rate.

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with wild mast but my pecan trees appear to be loaded.

? for rain.
I have 17 pecan trees in my yard, 5 of them are covered in galls this year. First time I’ve had that problem. Old trees that hardly ever produce pecans.

Jim Boyd

I have 17 pecan trees in my yard, 5 of them are covered in galls this year. First time I’ve had that problem. Old trees that hardly ever produce pecans.

Think I have 21 trees.

I do not see any galls.

My trees are mature, not sure how old.

This will be our 3rd season with them. First year we had a ton of nuts but they were not good, oily nuts. They were very dry.

Last year, we had almost zero crop.

I limed and zinc’ed last year, maybe that will help this year.

Hope yours straighten out.

Latest posts