Deer acorn hierarchy.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Can’t say about tannin levels. But what I do know is that white oaks either sprout or rot really quick. Red oak akerns last until next spring before they sprout or rot. Reds are good feed through the next spring. That’s why you’ll see Turkeys eating them in March and April; bc they have neither rotted or sprouted..

FWIW I’m on the opposite end of the state from you. YMMV

A freeze will make the unsprouted whites rot. Thus turning the game to the the reds..

Again, all this is subjective..

Find the feed sign, hint feed sign, make notes for future

steveus

Great topic, thanks. I'm in SE GA, mostly water oaks where I hunt, great crop this season, deer are tearing them up. Killed a nice 10pt. during MZ loader season eating them.
I know of a few swamp chestnuts near me, not in the woods, I have hauled acorns from them to the deer woods and deer have hit them hard. Then last year and this year, they are not eating them. Maybe they taste different each year? Anyone heard of this?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Can’t say about tannin levels. But what I do know is that white oaks either sprout or rot really quick. Red oak akerns last until next spring before they sprout or rot. Reds are good feed through the next spring. That’s why you’ll see Turkeys eating them in March and April; bc they have neither rotted or sprouted..

FWIW I’m on the opposite end of the state from you. YMMV
That makes sense. I’ll add that water oak acorns don’t typically last all year at my place. I wish they did, most of my little area typically holds water from November til April or so.

Buckman18

In the mountains, as a general rule, I tend to find more sign in white oaks in September/October, and tend to find better sign in the reds in November/December.

As a general rule, I almost always ignore chestnut oaks. There’s been a few exceptions over the years, but only a few.

Taxman

Great list of Oak's! Whitetail, I do not believe I have ever
seen a more comprehensive list in one place. Thank you
for the post!

chrislibby88

I wish more including myself shared your enthusiasm for early season squirrels. There's no better way to perfect your woodsmanship and marksmanship than spending time chasing squirrels with a .22 and It's a great time to begin scouting for Fall big game seasons. Good luck.
Pigs. Small game season is all about the pigs.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Should be a bumper crop of acorns this year with all the rain we’ve had. Those that survived the late frost anyway.
Be interesting to know if the extra water changes a certain trees acorn’s attractiveness.

chrislibby88

Black oak -Quercus velutina Lam is of the Red oak family . Acorns look very similar to Scarlet Oak . Cut open Black Oak acorn, inside very yellow-orange color.
So the red oak family is something I’m a little more ignorant on. I kinda just mentally lump all the reds together, northern, southern, pin oak, scarlet, black, etc. I mostly ignore the reds early season when I’m bear hunting in north GA, cause whites are king, then when I come back in December I’m focused more on rut funnels than food.

Do you find that blacks, or scarlets get used early season, or do you treat them like northern reds, and hunt them later in the year?

chrislibby88

Should be a bumper crop of acorns this year with all the rain we’ve had. Those that survived the late frost anyway.
Be interesting to know if the extra water changes a certain trees acorn’s attractiveness.
I think it does. Seems like dry summers produce some really heavy crops, but there’s so many variables it’s hard to tell. I’ve heard speculation that a lot of rain during flowering can lead to poor pollination, but who knows.. Heavy storms in the late summer knock a lot of acorns down early too.

Dan DeBord

Black oaks fall early about same time as white oak . If you find them deer love'em . Where i hunt they are at about 2000 ft. I have seen them at higher elevations. Cut one open . Inside cheese color very distinct .

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Speaking only of South central and Southwest Georgia, these deer prefer swamp chestnut acorns first. The most beneficial oak down here for everything is the water oak acorn. Even wood ducks and quail eat those little acorns and they usually have a very prolific crop every year.
What’s neat to see is a raft of ducks come up on the edge of an acorn hill out in the swamp, and gobble up water oak acorns. But they won’t stay long on that hill. And all at the same time will shoot back into the water. I’ve been sitting on the ground on the edge of a flat, with bushy cover around me, and had them come pretty close to me. But them jokers can sho nuff see. Man, they can see. And they sure are noisy devils. :bounce: Just a cool experience.