Dwarf chinquapin oaks

arrendale8105

I received 10 dwarf chinquapin oaks from the wildlife group to set this weekend. They’re small but supposed to produce relatively quickly. Has anyone had any luck with them?
Also got 10 of their buck au chestnuts that are supposed to drop November-December. We shall see. One of my regular dunstans didn’t start dropping last year til late October. Some started mid September. Today I noticed my sawtooths starting to bud out. Hopefully they start making this year and a frost doesn’t get them.

Bonus this past fall I found a native persimmon loaded with fruit while skidsteer mulching and cleaning up an area. I got it cleaned up around it good and hopefully it keeps producing. Next to pick up some pears to set out. That’s the only tree I’m lacking.

glynr329

Dwarf chinquapin don't expect miracles out of them. Not sure if mine did. I do have 1 short tree that produced maybe a hand or 2 full for 5 or 7 years. Don't get discouraged you can plant a tree 20 foot from another and do great.I am pretty sure most of the other trees turned out to be gobbler sawtooth or just saw tooth. If planting for deer best trees I haver ever grown crabapple, sawtooth,ton Chestnut, persimmon and wild pear.

Jim Boyd

Sounds like great work!!!!

We need pics!

I want to do a chestnut from seed protect starting with the stratification in the fall this year but not sure where to get seeds?

Like to do about 50 trees….

arrendale8105

We need pics!

I want to do a chestnut from seed protect starting with the stratification in the fall this year but not sure where to get seeds?

Keep up with me and if I can keep the deer out I’d be glad to send u some. I kept some year before last for a buddy of mine but this year was kind of hard. The deer have figured out what they are and apparently they love them. They cleaned them up like a vacuum this past fall.

arrendale8105

I got them all planted today plus one Bartlett pear and one keiffer pear. I’ll try to get some pics tomorrow when I water them all again. I had about 3 acres of ga gaint loblollies that were good on their third year that a strong straight line wind blew down last summer. I cleaned up with my skidstear mulcher yesterday. I’ve decided not to plant any trees to replace them by my longleafs but to expand my foodplot and tree orchard. We will plant some sunflowers and sorghum this summer also to try and attract some doves. Lots of options now for the next couple of years.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.

We need pics!

Remind me this fall, if mine produce again this year I can send you a handful or two. Normally have about ten trees that have a few on them every year.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I planted two dwarf chinquapins last year. They survived, maybe they’ll take off this year.

sportsman94

I have some dcos that are about to enter their fourth growing season. I planted them in a line to screen a plot and have severely neglected them since. Everything around them is grown up and choked out with briars. To my surprise, one was getting some acorns on it already this year. Look forward to seeing what they’ll do. I plan to plant more

Jim Boyd

Remind me this fall, if mine produce again this year I can send you a handful or two. Normally have about ten trees that have a few on them every year.

Wow - many thanks!!!!