Fun weekend

Bowyer29

Yesterday morning, my son, Wesley, and I went to some private land I had been getting a pretty good buck on camera in the morning hours. It was nasty thick fog and not much “life” to the woods. A little after 9 I saw a deer coming down the ridge top through the fog and told him to get ready. I told him it was the “baby 8” from camera and he didn’t care he wanted to shoot it. As it got closer I realized it was a little better than the deer I thought, but when it crossed an opening about 25 yards I bleated and shortly after the buck stopped Wesley put a 150gr eldx through his heart. He ran around us and fell about 10 yards behind us. It ended up being a 9 point I hadn’t had on camera, but another fella on the property had.
We went to another spot on private land for the evening and saw no deer. We had some coyotes fire up on the next ridge with about 5 minutes of shooting light left and he decided he was ready to go. ?
This morning we decided to go to the wma for an adult child hunt. We had scouted several places on Friday afternoon but didn’t find anything promising, so we were headed for a hardwood ridge I’ve killed quite a few deer on but haven’t been to it in several years. A truck was parked at the place we would have parked , so we went on down the road to another gate. I picked a spot on the map, and we made our way with flashlights to our destination. It was barely cracking light when we set up. We didn’t really have anything exciting happen until I heard something running and Wesley said “there’s a deer”. I was sitting on the side of the tree facing 90* to his left and the running was 180* from the way I was facing. I leaned around the tree to see a small deer running straight at us. It turned when it got to about 10 yards and started running quartering away out in front of him. I bleated really loud and it locked it down about 15 yards in front of him. About the time it turned to look at us it dropped. We sat for about 5 minutes before going down and taking a look. While taking a photo of his button head a buck about the size of the one from yesterday came running over the ridge. It saw us and stopped then started high stepping off into a draw. Wesley slipped up to where we had been sitting and I saw him shoulder his rifle for about 8-10 seconds then I heard the deer run and he started shaking his head. He said he was just about to squeeze the trigger when he took off running. Once we got back to the truck Another vehicle was parked next to us, and I believe they were bumping deer over us.
Wesley will be 12 in a few weeks. These were his 10th and 11th deer. He killed his first deer at 6, but last year everything clicked for him. He can acquire target quickly and a deer doesn’t have to be “in a perfect spot” for him to get a shot. Sorry for the long post, but sometimes it’s good to tell the whole story and not just post a pic. View attachment 1108863View attachment 1108865View attachment 1108866View attachment 1108868View attachment 1108870View attachment 1108871View attachment 1108872View attachment 1108873
Excellent!

Dupree

We cooked the inner loins as an appetizer yesterday evening. I don’t think many kids would be chomping down on medium rare meat like this. They were melt in your mouth delicious. Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic. 500* hardwood coals for a very short time on each side. ?
C64E46DE-E9D8-4F10-8F69-C57389B1FD77.jpeg

Meriwether Mike

My compliments on raising him right. He is a deerslayer!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What a great story and a even better weekend , congrats to you both !

oppthepop

Yesterday morning, my son, Wesley, and I went to some private land I had been getting a pretty good buck on camera in the morning hours. It was nasty thick fog and not much “life” to the woods. A little after 9 I saw a deer coming down the ridge top through the fog and told him to get ready. I told him it was the “baby 8” from camera and he didn’t care he wanted to shoot it. As it got closer I realized it was a little better than the deer I thought, but when it crossed an opening about 25 yards I bleated and shortly after the buck stopped Wesley put a 150gr eldx through his heart. He ran around us and fell about 10 yards behind us. It ended up being a 9 point I hadn’t had on camera, but another fella on the property had.
We went to another spot on private land for the evening and saw no deer. We had some coyotes fire up on the next ridge with about 5 minutes of shooting light left and he decided he was ready to go. ?
This morning we decided to go to the wma for an adult child hunt. We had scouted several places on Friday afternoon but didn’t find anything promising, so we were headed for a hardwood ridge I’ve killed quite a few deer on but haven’t been to it in several years. A truck was parked at the place we would have parked , so we went on down the road to another gate. I picked a spot on the map, and we made our way with flashlights to our destination. It was barely cracking light when we set up. We didn’t really have anything exciting happen until I heard something running and Wesley said “there’s a deer”. I was sitting on the side of the tree facing 90* to his left and the running was 180* from the way I was facing. I leaned around the tree to see a small deer running straight at us. It turned when it got to about 10 yards and started running quartering away out in front of him. I bleated really loud and it locked it down about 15 yards in front of him. About the time it turned to look at us it dropped. We sat for about 5 minutes before going down and taking a look. While taking a photo of his button head a buck about the size of the one from yesterday came running over the ridge. It saw us and stopped then started high stepping off into a draw. Wesley slipped up to where we had been sitting and I saw him shoulder his rifle for about 8-10 seconds then I heard the deer run and he started shaking his head. He said he was just about to squeeze the trigger when he took off running. Once we got back to the truck Another vehicle was parked next to us, and I believe they were bumping deer over us.
Wesley will be 12 in a few weeks. These were his 10th and 11th deer. He killed his first deer at 6, but last year everything clicked for him. He can acquire target quickly and a deer doesn’t have to be “in a perfect spot” for him to get a shot. Sorry for the long post, but sometimes it’s good to tell the whole story and not just post a pic. View attachment 1108863View attachment 1108865View attachment 1108866View attachment 1108868View attachment 1108870View attachment 1108871View attachment 1108872View attachment 1108873
AWESOME!!!!

bany

That was a fun weekend! Always refreshing to see a parent watching/helping the kid become a hunter.
Sitting at the plate of tenderloin he reminds me of a younger less hairy me!

DSGB

Great weekend for the young man! Congrats to you both!

My son turned 11 a few months ago and killed his first deer last year. We were supposed to go Saturday morning, but he didn't want to get up.

Dupree

You’ve got a couple more years ! But if I had to bet he’ll always have time for dad and the woods .
I was referring to turkeys. He’s missed 5 in a row the last two seasons.

Seminole Wind

Looks like he did everything right. Two coolheaded shots and holding on an iffy shot, plus dragging his own deer out and pretty handy knife work. This young hunter has been taught well. Congratulations to you both!

wvdawg

Staff member
Mighty fine hunt - congrats!