Funerals

atlashunter

Aren't there state laws that one must be embalmed, if not cremated?

I wonder what the laws are for where one can be buried? Can you get buried in your back yard by your pets? I would still think you would have to be embalmed and in a vault.

Not required in Georgia at least.

https://miltonfieldsgeorgia.com/5-commonmyths-about-green-burials/

There are natural burial cemeteries around the country. I'm not sure about the laws governing where a person can be buried.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Aren't there state laws that one must be embalmed, if not cremated?

I wonder what the laws are for where one can be buried? Can you get buried in your back yard by your pets? I would still think you would have to be embalmed and in a vault.
I believe embalming is more funeral home policy rather than law, if a viewing ceremony is performed.

I was told that you can be buried anywhere but you must still go through a funeral director to do so, apparently for permits and other state regs.

At least for GA.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I don’t care what my family does with me, I only have one request - make sure I’m actually dead before they do it.

If they cremated me I wanted to be taken to Gatlinburg and put half my ashes there, and charter a deep sea fishing trip and dump the rest of me out there somewhere.

If I’m buried, get the cheapest ceremony and box available.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have attended two funerals this week, both heavy on the Christian stuff. It got me to thinking. I have never attended the funeral of an Atheist. I am curious of how that would go?

The service is not for the dead but the living. If my loved ones want to toss me in the river, if that helps, count me in. If they want a fancy Church service, I'm OK with that. Whatever helps them get through it.

specialk

Lots of folks plan their own funerals, I have. Maybe an Atheist could shine some light on how they would like theirs to go.
For me, the Preacher gets about 10 minutes, then it's a party.

Knew a lady that planned hers....picked out all her pall bearers...trouble was half of them died before she did.......

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I’ve never been to an atheist funeral either. Been to a ton of religious ones. Each reinforces my preference.......my wife n kids know to cremate me, and dump my ashes in a random ditch on the way home. I don’t want them going out of their way or feeling like they gotta “visit” me later. No funerals. No memorial. Just cook some bbq n have a good time. Saves a ton of $$ n everybody gets to go on about they business.

I would prefer nothing at all, but in reality funerals are for the living and I dont object to anything that will ease my remaining loved ones pain. I've been hard headed my whole life. I don't want to make a point after my death that would make things harder on them.

Rick Alexander

Sort of hard to write this but my dad was adamant about not wanting a preacher to speak over him as he wasn't a believer and also didn't want someone saying anything about him that didn't know him. He was cremated but at his memorial service his friends from the military (he was a Colonel in the Ntl Guard) spoke about him even though he had been retired for 30 years from there. The guy that spoke was a fantastic public speaker and came up through the OCS school dad was a commanding officer of. Several of his old students also spoke highly of their experience with dad at that school. Then a guy at his job (dad was a retired PhD chemist at the Centers For Disease Control) spoke about the things serious and funny that happened over the years at CDC - also an amazing public speaker that everyone was blown away by. Also, dad was an accomplished musician that inspired my son to become a professional musician so my son and dad's uncle played several songs on several different instruments (dobro - fiddle - guitar). This just happened to be the only thing dad requested was there to be music at his funeral as that's what gave him the most joy in life other than family. I also spoke about our family life. He wasn't a perfect dad - he could be very rigid and tough - but he came up poor and hard and we just wanted my brother and I prepared for how life could be. He was tough - but he sure did a good job being a dad. He was not a Christian - but he sure lived a good upstanding life. He helped those that needed it - as long as they seemed to be trying to work hard at it themselves. He didn't believe in giving something for nothing. Is he in a better place - I don't know but he sure isn't suffering from all the issues he had at the end of his life. I think he was satisfied with how things went both during his life and how things went for his funeral.

LittleDrummerBoy

We honored my dad's requests for his final arrangements: cremation, ashes scattered in the duck marsh, no preacher, open bar.

Likewise, we'll honor my mom's requests. Christian music, Christian preacher at the service. Cremation and ashes scattered in her home land.

I hope my wife and/or children honor my requests. Humble burial on the cheap. Evangelist preacher. My funeral should not be about me. I'm not there. It should be for the living, and it may be the last time many of them hear the gospel.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Funerals are something I've never understood, same thing with burials for that matter. Makes no sense to me that someone should have to spend money putting me in the ground or lighting me on fire.

I do understand that the theatrics are for the folks surrounding us, but I have spent a lifetime letting the folks around me know that I dont care one bit what they do with me, but please figure out how to do it for as close to free as possible.