High end steak

ambush80

I`ll take an 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick well marbled untrimmed ribeye, Kosher salt, coarse grind black pepper, little crushed garlic, and a bed of coals. Either at home, primitive camp, or a sandbar on the river.
Iv'e had a few memorable meals on a sandbar. One time in particular it was very windy. Can't say that the gritty eggs were that great.

ambush80

I had a center cut ribeye in Chicago that was the best steak. I am a fan of Hal's for Atlanta Steakhouse and they are known for their fillet. I really enjoy their lamb chops as well.
Which place in Chicago? My cousin took me to Morton's in Chicago. It was yummy.

ambush80

Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC used to have a good store-bought steak. You gotta wear a necktie to go in there, though. And it ain't no better than a good home-grilled one.
Nope. No dress code for me. It's a No Go. I would do this:

What is the proper attire at Morton's?

Proper attire is required.

Morton's enforces a business attire or smart casual dress code. We do not allow beachwear, gym attire including sweatpants, sweatshirts or hoodies. Athletic apparel, jerseys, hats, beanies, bandanas, ball caps, oversized or baggy clothing, tank tops, and sleeveless shirts are prohibited. No excessively revealing clothing will be allowed. Clothing emitting offensive odors is not permitted to be worn anywhere on the property.

I'll put on jeans and a T shirt. I wonder what they mean by "offensive odors". :ROFLMAO:

ambush80

I'll have to post some pics from this trip to Argentina in May 2009 sometime when I have time, but this is a traditional asado along the banks of the Limay Medio in southern Argentina.

We ate like this just about every night of a 7-day 66 mile float trip...

Just meat from a cooler, cooked over whatever hardwoods they could scrounge up on the bank...

View attachment 1301736

This is who we floated with: https://setflyfishing.com/en/homepage/
What is an Argentinian vegetable side dish? Fish?:ROFLMAO:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The wife and I went out for the high end steakhouse experience for our anniversary. We didn’t want to go into Atlanta. This place in Canton did not disappoint. We split a big tomahawk and couldn’t finish it. Everything about the dinner was excellent, it was a bit pricey.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I'll have to post some pics from this trip to Argentina in May 2009 sometime when I have time, but this is a traditional asado along the banks of the Limay Medio in southern Argentina.

We ate like this just about every night of a 7-day 66 mile float trip...

Just meat from a cooler, cooked over whatever hardwoods they could scrounge up on the bank...

View attachment 1301736

This is who we floated with: https://setflyfishing.com/en/homepage/
Ive had the pleasure of my company paying for most of my 'eat outs'. I totally forgot about Argentinian beef. About 30 miles outside of San Paulo which is the boonies.

Argentina supplies most of the beef to SA and it is delish. It's affordable and delish.

skiff20

Best steak was a Cariboo. Back strap I think. At a place called Hobo's on the banks of the Yukon River in Galena Alaska in 1972. Galena is still there but I don't think Hobo's is. I don't know how the lady cooked it but it was the best piece of meat I have ate. I never met the lady. I was invited by a friend of a friend.
2nd best was a beef tenderloin about 8 inches in diameter and inch and a half thick. I rapped bacon around it and cook to medium. I don't know if you can get that anymore either. All the tenderloins I see now are about 4 inches in diameter. About 6 or 7 pounds.

menhadenman

Ate some pretty high end steaks from some critters that’d beat almost any steak you could buy in the big city.

And with Bidenomics at play even a cheap sirloin from Brazil will run you $30!

Buck70

What did you like best about it? The quality of the meat? The cooking method? The seasoning? The setting? The pretty waitress?

At Hy's in Toronto, I liked that they had a very pretty woman who's only apparent job was to chat us up, laugh at my dumb jokes, and try to upsell us on items. There were probably four people in charge of different things for our table of 8. One guy's job was to pour wine, the Sommellier:ROFLMAO:. Having done most of the jobs in the restaurant biz, I always try to make friends with the staff. I want then to feel like I would go get drinks with them afterwards ( if they were cool. Being pretty helps, too;)).

I had a sirloin with French fries that (as Rodney Dangerfield said) "Still had the whip marks where the jockey hit it", that I would order again, as long as it was at that same cafe in Paris.
The flavor and tenderness were outstanding.

slow motion

Don't reckon I've had a real expensive steak. At least not that comes to mind. Been to a few fancy places when Sweet Thang wanted to. Sundial was pretty cool. Stayed in the hotel with the blue domed spaceship on top for that one. Expensive but that woman is worth every dime. This place was a couple years ago when she wanted to see the Gingerbread house competition. Best I remember mine was elk tenderloin. Screenshot_20240425-065649_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065710_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065700_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065719_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065736_Adblock Browser.jpg

It was good and while I like a good steak as much as anybody I like beanie weenies and vienna sausage too. Or hoop cheese and crackers when I'm floating on little Lucy.

Screenshot_20240425-065129_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065150_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20240425-065434_Adblock Browser.jpg

That said I've been told Kansas City is THE PLACE for a steak. Sounds like a disappointment waiting to happen but one day I'll pass through when I'm not hammering down to somewhere else. Gonna be tough to beat these though. Used my finger as a guide when I sliced em.20240308_112756.jpg
20240308_112808.jpg

Lindseys Grandpa

Never been to a high end steak house and probably never will especially one that requires a tie . Paid $40 for a steak I cooked at home . Best steaks I have ever eat cooked over a wood fire.
A friend of mine who is a cattle buyer said within next 6 months you will be paying unreal prices for beef so a lot of peoples top price will go up . That was before they announced bird flu has been found in cows .

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We were treated to Earie Cafe in Chicago on a work trip. Never seen a steak that big in my life. Might have been prime rib. I just remember seeing a lot of blood gravy on the platter. Girl with me was a vegetarian and she bout lost it. :rofl: I didn't ordered one, but the guys did.

earlthegoat2

Porterhouse from Ruth’s Chris.

I think it was $85 and was so big my wife and I ate it for 2 huge meals.

It was good but I have made better ribeyes and strips on the kettle at the casa.

We had a gift certificate and that was the only reason we went. I rarely get steak at an eatery for that very reason.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Best restaurant steak I’ve had was from backwoods in tallapoosa, not sure if it is still the same quality. They are under new ownership. Best steaks I’ve eaten were my grandpa’s, but since he has passed away I prefer my own. Ribeye, New York strip, or filet depending on what I’m in the mood for, cooked to about 133.

Kdog

Didn't read all of the posts and I am not a fan of ordering steak out, but below are some good ones I have had in my travels.

Peter Luger - way over rated and would never go there again except for the grappa
Keens - it was good, but not off the charts
Quality Meets - very good
Gallaghers Steakhouse- very good
The Keg - has always been great for fillets no matter the location
Smith and Wollensky - only ate at the one in Manhattan, but it was great every time
Uncle Jacks - ate there numerous times, but once had a 24oz kobe ribeye that was absolutely off the charts as it should have been

Tight Lines

Didn't read all of the posts and I am not a fan of ordering steak out, but below are some good ones I have had in my travels.

Peter Luger - way over rated and would never go there again except for the grappa
Keens - it was good, but not off the charts
Quality Meets - very good
Gallaghers Steakhouse- very good
The Keg - has always been great for fillets no matter the location
Smith and Wollensky - only ate at the one in Manhattan, but it was great every time
Uncle Jacks - ate there numerous times, but once had a 24oz kobe ribeye that was absolutely off the charts as it should have been
Uncle Jack's is outstanding. Had the Yabba Dabba Doo Rib Chop for Two there on more than one occasion...great steaks, great service...have not been in years, but maybe next time I'm in NYC I'll hit it again...

Geffellz18

I’m similar to @NCHillbilly in that I can’t really tell the difference in the dry aged fancy stuff & I’ve had my fair share of them including some acclaimed ones in Chicago.
Sure, it taste slightly different-maybe but not world changing, quadruple the price different!
The two steaks that stand out the most was from a place back home called Mesquite Charlie’s & one cooked over wood on one of those tripod adjustable grates camping in the Okefenokee at Floyd’s cabin with some fellow GON’ers.

Sixes

Aged bone in ribeye, think it was 96 or 98 dollars. At the same place, we split a 120 dollar tomahawk.

Both were good, but the tomahawk was dry aged and I'm not that big a fan of dry aged beef.

Best steak that I've ever had at a restaurant was from La Cellier at Disney World. Every one that I have had from there was amazingly good.

The best chain restaurant steak that I've had was in either Texas or Louisiana at a place called Saltgrass

All ribeyes

Dr. Strangelove

@slow motion I don't know how long ago you went, but Grove Park Inn has gone full on insane. They always had a bit of a high opinion of themselves but it's full on resort crazy now.

I'm from the area and they have always been $$$ but my parents met some friends for lunch and parking was $40 - with no validation or comp for dining on premises.

My ex-wife and I used to go occasionally to the Sunset Terrace for drinks, sometimes dinner but you pretty much have to be staying there now.

It used to be a sleepy fun historic place but it's not that way anymore.

slow motion

@slow motion I don't know how long ago you went, but Grove Park Inn has gone full on insane. They always had a bit of a high opinion of themselves but it's full on resort crazy now.

I'm from the area and they have always been $$$ but my parents met some friends for lunch and parking was $40 - with no validation or comp for dining on premises.

My ex-wife and I used to go occasionally to the Sunset Terrace for drinks, sometimes dinner but you pretty much have to be staying there now.

It used to be a sleepy fun historic place but it's not that way anymore.
Just before Christmas in 22. Wife set it all up so no clue on parking. It was all valet so not cheap I'm sure. Especially with tip. Had to call down 30 minutes before you wanted to leave.