Gator football is all about Urban Meyer, not Tim Tebow

DeWalt

Banned
Sometimes, even the Orlando Sentinel gets it right.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Interesting to read the comments after the story...

:biggrin2:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ators-football-0411-20100410,0,3258186.column

GAINESVILLE – The legions and legions of Gator-haters out there will tell you elatedly that the spiritual leader of Florida football has left the building.

They will tell you wishfully that the heart and soul of the program is no longer here.

They will predict lustily that the granite foundation on which UF's national championship-caliber program was built will now disintegrate into dust and ashes .

These people are either stupid fools or desperate dreamers.

Tim Tebow may be gone, but don't be naïve. The spiritual leader, the heart and soul, the rock and foundation of Florida football remains.

Urban Meyer is still here.

And don't kid yourself. As long as the greatest coach in college football remains in Gainesville, the Gators will be as dominant and dynamic as ever.

This had to be a Gator-hater's absolute worst nightmare Saturday: There stood Meyer, looking animated and rejuvenated, as he and 51,000 of his closest friends witnessed the first unveiling of the post-Tebow Gators at the Orange and Blue intrasquad game on this sunny honey of a day in North Central Florida.

"We're excited," Meyer said. "This is a team and a group of coaches with a chip on their shoulders."

With apologies to that astute college football analyst Mark "Beano" Twain: The reports of Florida's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Who will ever forget how Gator-haters celebrated when Meyer shockingly resigned on Dec. 26 and then announced a day later that he would be taking an indefinite leave of absence? They screamed with joy and elation, "Recruiting will be ruined!"

Six weeks later, Meyer and his coaches reeled in the consensus No. 1 recruiting class in the country. And, sadly, the Gator-haters, all heartbroken and hump-shouldered, slinked back home.

Now all they can do is pin their hopes of a Florida fall on the loss of Tebow.

They will be disappointed once again.

"We want to prove that we're not going to skip a beat," new Florida quarterback John Brantley said.

This is not to say Tebow won't be missed. Of course he will. He is, after all, one of the greatest players in college football history.

But he is not irreplaceable. Brantley – 15-of-19 for 201 yards and two touchdowns Saturday – is a better pure passer than Tebow. And Trey Burton – 10 rushes for 123 yards, including a 76-yarder – showed that he will be a nice change of pace when the Gators want to go with a dual-threat quarterback.

There seems to be this misguided notion that Tim Tebow made Urban Meyer's program, but I beg to differ. I think it was more – and please don't excommunicate me to the ninth circle of Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- for writing this – that Urban Meyer's program made Tim Tebow. No question, it was a mutually beneficial marriage, but don't ever forget Meyer was winning games – and lots of them – long before he recruited Tebow.

The man has been a Coach of the Year in three different leagues. He went 12-0 at Utah when nobody knew who Utah was. And his detractors conveniently forget that he won his first national championship at UF with Chris Leak at quarterback. Yes, Tebow was a contributor, but he was a change-of-pace quarterback on a defensive-dominated team.

Meyer has won with spread-option quarterbacks like Tebow. He's won with drop-back quarterbacks like Leak. He's won with a combination of both like Alex Smith.

"What's great about Coach Meyer is he molds his offense around what his players do best," Brantley said.

The only question is how long will Meyer do what he does best -- collect victories, rings and trophies? There is still a shroud of mystery surrounding his health and stress level and nobody really knows how much longer he will coach.

With the lone exception of yelling at Sentinel reporters, he has cut way back on his media obligations this spring and will not be making appearances on the upcoming UF booster club circuit. It seems he is eliminating anything and everything that doesn't have to deal with coaching.

"The focus is on recruiting, our players, our team and obviously coaches raising our children and doing it the right way," Meyer said. "If that takes away from some other stuff, it's gotta happen."

Here's a frightening thought: Meyer's sole coaching focus now will be on one thing – winning championships. Could it be that he will become an even greater coach now that he has cut back on the distractions of booster clubs and news conferences?.

"I'm jacked," Urban Meyer said after the spring game.

Those might be the two most depressing words Gators-haters have heard since that other guy said, "I promise."

Attachments

• Coach.jpg
    Coach.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,504

bullgator

Wow! the OS finally writes one I can agree with!.
There was a pretty good article in the Tampa Tribune about the orange and blue game also.

DeWalt

Banned
Wow! the OS finally writes one I can agree with!.
There was a pretty good article in the Tampa Tribune about the orange and blue game also.

Did you notice that they estimated over 51,000 in attendance?
GatorNation!

:yeah: :yeah:

MudDucker

Staff member
They only wrote this article to keep Urban from kicking them off campus.

DeWalt

Banned
They only wrote this article to keep Urban from kicking them off campus.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He must have the Tampa Tribune scared too...

I think this is the article BullGator referred to...

QB Brantley solid in UF's annual spring game

GAINESVILLE - As part of Florida's annual spring football contest, fans were allowed to design the first play for each team's offense in Saturday's Orange and Blue game.

John Brantley appreciated the help.

The player expected to replace Tim Tebow as the Gators' quarterback in the fall, Brantley was allowed to wind up and fling a 47-yard bomb to receiver Deonte Thompson on the first play from scrimmage. Five plays later, the Blue had the first touchdown on a 1-yard run by Mike Gillislee in an eventual 27-24 win over the Orange.

"It's easy to get the jitters out, just be able to throw it as far as you can, not have any touch on it just throw it because Deonte Thompson's pretty fast and no matter how far you throw it he will run underneath it," Brantley said. "It was fun just to let loose the one time, just get everything out of you."

And just like that, the Tebow era was over and the Brantley era had begun. The Ocala native finished 15 of 19 for 201 yards and two touchdowns. Freshman Trey Burton, an early enrollee after playing high school ball last fall, completed 12 of 18 for 120 yards and one score while also running for 123 yards on 10 carries with two TDs.

"From the first day of spring to the end of spring he's very, very improved and that's all we ask," UF coach Urban Meyer said of Burton. "He's still not a great thrower, but they said that about Tebow when he came out of high school too and he did OK."

Burton and Brantley weren't the only impressive efforts on Saturday, with an estimated crowd of 51,500.

"I thought post-Tebow we'd have 11,000 out there," joked Meyer. "I told Johnny Brantley, 'No one's here to see you, big boy,' and all of a sudden that big crowd shows up."

The 2010 Gators will be filled with youth and speed on defense. Cornerback Joshua Shaw, another early enrollee, led both squads with six total tackles. On offense, there figures to be much more depth at receiver. Ten different players caught at least one pass, led by Carl Moore's five catches for 102 yards, including a 14-yard TD throw from Brantley to give the Blue team an early 14-0 lead.

Burton ran five yards for the Orange's first score, then tossed a 20-yard touchdown pass to Omarius Hines to tie it at 14-14. After a 37-yard field goal by Caleb Sturgis gave the Orange its first lead, Frankie Hammond pulled in Brantley's second scoring toss, this one from four yards.

Burton came back with a 9-yard run for another Orange score before T.J. Lawrence's 31-yard TD catch from Jordan Reed won it for the Blue late in the fourth quarter.

For Brantley, Saturday was very special since he grew up a Gator fan. His dad, John, was also a Florida QB. Finally, he is the starter after sitting behind Tebow for three years.

"What happens in recruiting nowadays is you sign a Tebow and you're not getting a Johnny Brantley to follow him," Meyer said. "It's very rare. What happens is kids don't want to come here. They don't want to sit behind the bench."

But Brantley figures the wait was worth it.

"It felt a lot different, just going out there knowing I'm the guy now," Brantley said.

Meyer called it a team filled with motivation, even though UF went 26-2 the last two years and won the 2008 national title.

"You talk about a team with a chip on their shoulder in that locker room. It's kind of cool to have that again," Meyer said.

Added Brantley: "People have been talking about our receivers maybe not being as good as last year's or our defense as good as last year's. I think that's what we want to prove, that we're not going to miss anything. We're not going to take a step back at all."

Attachments

• 41271_0410gators1.jpg
    41271_0410gators1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts