Blame Kirby for Gators Coaching Turnover

MudDucker

Staff member
https://www.ajc.com/sports/mark-bra...blame-kirby-smart/VR2FG5WV4NDGPLH3YMI7MYG5BU/

Georgia hired Mark Richt in December 2000. Only once since have the Bulldogs needed a new football coach. Florida, the only SEC East program with the resources to match Georgia’s, just launched its sixth search of the 21st Century.

Gator fans can still brag about national championships – Florida has won three since the Bulldogs won in 1980 – but that’s where the strutting ends. Florida finished 2-6 in SEC play. Eleven months after his Gators graced the SEC championship game, Dan Mullen is out of work.

Georgia has won the SEC East four of the past five seasons. Florida has won it three times since 2010, when Urban Meyer embarked on his first retirement. The Gators haven’t reached the College Football Playoff. Georgia made the field in 2017 and just missed in 2018. Unless the Bulldogs contrive to lose to Georgia Tech, they’ll make it again this year.

This is Smart’s sixth season in Athens. His teams have lost nine games over five years. Florida has lost nine games since Dec. 11, 2020. Remember when the Gators thumped Georgia last season, prompting some – that’s my hand you see raised – to declare they’d caught and passed the Bulldogs? It was but another in a series of false Florida dawns.

Florida is in search of its third coach since Georgia hired Smart.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Throwback will also tell you that 17-3 has nothing to do with the coaching turnovers at Auburn.

bullgator

It was supposed to be a down year for Florida.
I said that before the season started. Emory Jones has never impressed me and I thought we might go 8-4 this year.

James12

I thought Jones was a sleeper for big things - I think he got messed up by looking over his shoulder to the other kid. That never bodes well and often hurts more than it pushes a kid!

brownceluse

I said that before the season started. Emory Jones has never impressed me and I thought we might go 8-4 this year.
I remember and I agree. Just funny what college football has turned into. Playing for the SEC Championship then fired the next year.

bullgator

As far as any coaches hired in the Richt era he and Shotty were the biggest disappointments and ve seen. Grantham I thought would be a beast. Said all the right things.
He actually did a decent job his first two years at UF……..with someone else’s recruits. Once the talent left his defense got exposed.

Latest posts