And now for a word on coaches knowing their personnel better than us armchairs.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
By Charlie Harper

Today was about the coaches.

First, Sam Pittman. He's already done more at Arkansas than anyone expected. Today was a setback, but he has his team, and the fan base, believing in Arkansas football again. It's hard to do from a small state, but he's moved mountains to make his team competitive in the semi-pro SEC. Today was not his or his team's day, but that doesn't diminish what he's done with his team to date.

As for UGA, today showed us a well coached team, top to bottom. A lot of the folks that were calling for Richt to be fired were calling for Kirby's head last season...a few even the season before that. They've questioned his decision to continue to play SBennett IV because they want to see what the 3rd and 4th string guys can do. Kirby gets to see them every day. He also has to be prepared to win every week. Like, for instance, when a top 10, very physical team comes to town and your #1 guy is injured. He gets paid big bucks to win, not to provide exhibition scrimmages for those of us in the cheap seats.

Today, Bulldog nation won big. Spread was 18.5, and I believed the "under" was the safe bet against the Arkansas team. The game looked a lot more like Vandy than Clemson, and that credit goes to coaches that have managed the expectations of the 18-22 year olds they have under their wing, and ignoring the never-satisfied, always wanting something different, unaccountable wing of UGA's fan base.

It's always a great day to be a Georgia Bulldog. Some days - like today - are just better than others.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Shadow11

By Charlie Harper

Today was about the coaches.

First, Sam Pittman. He's already done more at Arkansas than anyone expected. Today was a setback, but he has his team, and the fan base, believing in Arkansas football again. It's hard to do from a small state, but he's moved mountains to make his team competitive in the semi-pro SEC. Today was not his or his team's day, but that doesn't diminish what he's done with his team to date.

As for UGA, today showed us a well coached team, top to bottom. A lot of the folks that were calling for Richt to be fired were calling for Kirby's head last season...a few even the season before that. They've questioned his decision to continue to play SBennett IV because they want to see what the 3rd and 4th string guys can do. Kirby gets to see them every day. He also has to be prepared to win every week. Like, for instance, when a top 10, very physical team comes to town and your #1 guy is injured. He gets paid big bucks to win, not to provide exhibition scrimmages for those of us in the cheap seats.

Today, Bulldog nation won big. Spread was 18.5, and I believed the "under" was the safe bet against the Arkansas team. The game looked a lot more like Vandy than Clemson, and that credit goes to coaches that have managed the expectations of the 18-22 year olds they have under their wing, and ignoring the never-satisfied, always wanting something different, unaccountable wing of UGA's fan base.

It's always a great day to be a Georgia Bulldog. Some days - like today - are just better than others.

Not at all man! I was calling for cmr to be fired way before he was. So were my friends and family. Not a single one of those friends or family members has called for smart's head. You are making that up!

Smart has continuously made the d better every year, man. This year is the closest he has gotten to the complete package that we knew he would eventually get.

Nothing against richt, but he wasn't a great coach. I'd love to have him back as the team chaplain or something. I think that would be great.

I've never met anyone that has called for kirby's head. This is my only confusion to your statement.

GTMODawg

BANNED
There are very few UGA fans that I’ve heard who question Smarts coaching. This staff is by far the best that’s ever been in Athens. It is entirely fair, however, to question how we have a walk on QB who was offered by no one out of high school or JUCO has started what, 6(?) of the last 12 or 13 games UGA has played.

Jake Fromm regressed from the 2018 NC game until he left…..going from an early first round pick at the beginning of 2019 to 5th round pick that year. Meanwhile Fields saw in the 2018 LSU game that he wasn’t going to get the PT needed to develop at UGA and we are faced with a transfer who couldn’t win the job at USC ( he transferred, he must have had some indication he wasn’t the guy) and a walk on no one else was interested in. That is not good any way you slice it.

What Bennett has accomplished is almost miraculous. He is unbelievably good when he is good…..but he is not what one would look for in a National title contending QB. He has flat out saved UGA several times and thank goodness he was around but the circumstances which has lead us all here did not occur in a vacuum and it is extremely likely to cost us a natty. I hope I’m wrong but it’s not an ideal situation. It’s not wanting anyone fired but it does raise questions about roster management and skill assessment and player development at QB.

fishnguy

Yeah, Smart has had to learn to be a head coach and made some mistakes that you wouldn't think a 4-5 milion dollar salary would make. Richt/Bobo didn't do well in developing qbs/ evaluating qb talent and that was their position! Hopefully the Dawgs will have some stability at OC for a few years, too!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Some UGA fans are never satisfied and never will be. Win a national championship and they'll complain that you didn't win two. I'm grateful to be contending for the SEC championship every year and respectable again instead of just another SEC team.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Some UGA fans are never satisfied and never will be. Win a national championship and they'll complain that you didn't win two. I'm grateful to be contending for the SEC championship every year and respectable again instead of just another SEC team.

There are fans who can’t be satisfied. No doubt. I can’t imagine anyone wanting Kirby Smart to be satisfied with the QB situation at UGA. Will he make the best of it? Absolutely. That is the nature of a winner…..but I also suspect….and expect…..him to be working like a dawg to make whatever improvements he can.

Most UGA fans are ecstatic over the position the program is in. I don’t know a single one who is satisfied that we haven’t won a natty since 1980 and I am certain Kirby Smart nor anyone associated with the program is satisfied with that. If they are they should get in another line of work because the drive to be a champion at anything requires working hard to always get better. Satisfied people don’t do that. Is Nick Saban EVER satisfied??? Does he ever give the impression that he has won enough are his program has reached its zenith? Does ANY competitor?

GTMODawg

BANNED
From a talent level JT is the man. But the Mailman is all heart and backbone.

There ain’t no doubt….dude is the epitome of a DGD. He also has some talent. Everyone I ever met loved “Rudy”….. especially the part where GT gets beat if you’re a UGA fan. Anyone who doesn’t appreciate an underdog over coming huge odds isn’t human. That doesn’t dismiss the fact that once again UGA has issues at QB at a time in CFB history when the game is all about elite QB play. It is entirely possible to love the Bennett story and simultaneously questioning how it came to be in the first place without wanting someone fired or being an idiot or less of a fan. The story is great….how it has come about is troubling. I doubt Smart would disagree….he has recruited QBs and I am certain would prefer not relying on Bennett. He started Dwan Mathis over Bennett and Daniels…..if he prefers Bennet his doing that is psychotic……

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There are fans who can’t be satisfied. No doubt. I can’t imagine anyone wanting Kirby Smart to be satisfied with the QB situation at UGA. Will he make the best of it? Absolutely. That is the nature of a winner…..but I also suspect….and expect…..him to be working like a dawg to make whatever improvements he can.

Most UGA fans are ecstatic over the position the program is in. I don’t know a single one who is satisfied that we haven’t won a natty since 1980 and I am certain Kirby Smart nor anyone associated with the program is satisfied with that. If they are they should get in another line of work because the drive to be a champion at anything requires working hard to always get better. Satisfied people don’t do that. Is Nick Saban EVER satisfied??? Does he ever give the impression that he has won enough are his program has reached its zenith? Does ANY competitor?
I'll edit my post and say that as I said and only what I said, Some UGA fans are never satisfied and never will be. I didn't speak as to Kirby Smart, the QB situation, the nature of winners, Nick Sabin, or any other competitor. I only spoke as to some UGA fans never being satisfied and that's all.

MudDucker

Staff member
What, I've heard a LOT of fans over the prior 2 seasons who questioned if Kirby could and would get it done.

I hated to see Mark gone, because of the man he was. However, I've known Kirby for a long time and I had a good feeling about him coming home and so far, he has shown that he has grown and will continue to grow as a head coach. I like him a LOT better than I liked 3 yards and a cloud of dust Dooley.

GTMODawg

BANNED
What, I've heard a LOT of fans over the prior 2 seasons who questioned if Kirby could and would get it done.

I hated to see Mark gone, because of the man he was. However, I've known Kirby for a long time and I had a good feeling about him coming home and so far, he has shown that he has grown and will continue to grow as a head coach. I like him a LOT better than I liked 3 yards and a cloud of dust Dooley.

Dooley was a very good coach in his era. Three yard and a cloud of dust was the way the game was played at the time. Smart is the best coach UGA has ever had following the second best ever at UGA. The state of the program is in better shape than it has ever been. That does not mean there ain't room for improvement and I would bet a pile of cash that Kirby Smart would agree emphatically.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My personal opinion is that if you're a true DAWG fan. Win or lose, you're still a DAWG fan no matter what. It's the haters that want to bring up when Georgia's last Nation champ was or how bad they lost in a game. Like I always said, when Georgia wins. Georgia parties. When Georgia loses everybody parties.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

I'll tell you what bothers me. It's the unrealistic expectation of UGA fans since 1980. That championship was a blessing and a curse. Since that year, we've only had a few teams that could realistically contend for the national championship and due to one reason or another, didn't close the deal. Some UGA fans have the inflated belief that we have a real chance to win a national championship every year. I remember reading and hearing it at different touchdown club meetings through the 80's and 90's when we had some teams that were just lucky to be nationally ranked.
Yes, every team should strive to be a champion every year but don't bad mouth your state team for not reaching an impossible goal.

GTMODawg

BANNED
My personal opinion is that if you're a true DAWG fan. Win or lose, you're still a DAWG fan no matter what. It's the haters that want to bring up when Georgia's last Nation champ was or how bad they lost in a game. Like I always said, when Georgia wins. Georgia parties. When Georgia loses everybody parties.

I am a Dawg fan since at least 1978. Season tickets since 1994. I have been to every SEC Stadium except ATM and Mizzoo. A buddy of mine and myself have bought 4 SEC CG tickets to every SEC CG in Atlanta since 1994...he is a stinking Gator fan so he uses them when UF is in the game and I use them when UGA is in the game and we sell them when neither makes it to the game. I haven't missed many bowl games in person since 1994 but did make the fatal error of letting a buddy use the tickets I had in hand to Notre Dame because my son had an college event in Denver that weekend. I have spent an inordinate amount of money and time on UGA football through thick and thin....none of that has ANYTHING at all to do with the fact that out best option as back up QB is a walk one who had no offers out of high school or JUCO. We have 2 4 stars on the roster who were heavily recruited by people who make a pile of money doing so....but apparently the walk on has a better grasp of the offense than either of them have. Bennet is a stud backup QB and his story is incredible....but it should never be possible at UGA with the resources and the money involved.

We are extremely lucky to have won as often as we have with Bennet. Rudy didn't start at Notre Dame. It is entirely possible that one of the highly recruited QBs we will lose to the transfer portal in January would be as good or better than Bennett given the work with the starters that Bennet has recieved and there is little doubt that we would beat UAB, Vandy and USC with either of them under center getting reps that would provide the development they need. If they do not possess the ability to grasp the offense that is a failing on the part of the coaching staff....they are paid to assess talent and ability to learn the system is a BIG part of that. This is not akin to saying anyone should be fired and does not diminish anyone's level of fan loyalty....it is a legitimate concern. It has happened 2 years in a row but is an ongoing theme since 2017.

Alabama and Florida showed the key to success against Bennett. D linemen just hold your hands up....he will have to roll out of the pocket, where arm strength and accuracy are less for almost any QB, or get the ball batted down. UGAs defense is entirely capable of carrying UGA to a natty with Bennett under center....but is anyone convinced we aren't more potent with Daniels? If we are not then Bennet should be starting ahead of Daniels....does any true Dawg fan relish the idea of watching Bennett against Florida and hopefully Alabama after last season?????

We face 2 teams currently who are ranked within a couple of spots against the rush with Clemson who we could not run against. Auburn is #8 currently against the rush....some 20 spots ahead of Clemson. For comparison Arkansas is currently in the 80s. We haven't proven capable of doing to Auburn, UF, UK and possibly Alabama what we did this week against Arkansas. The QB situation is a concern if a natty is the goal.....

GTMODawg

BANNED
I'll tell you what bothers me. It's the unrealistic expectation of UGA fans since 1980. That championship was a blessing and a curse. Since that year, we've only had a few teams that could realistically contend for the national championship and due to one reason or another, didn't close the deal. Some UGA fans have the inflated belief that we have a real chance to win a national championship every year. I remember reading and hearing it at different touchdown club meetings through the 80's and 90's when we had some teams that were just lucky to be nationally ranked.
Yes, every team should strive to be a champion every year but don't bad mouth your state team for not reaching an impossible goal.

UGA is somewhere in the neighborhood of #10 in almost any category related to wins as a power 5 program. UGA is sandwiched between three teams which have managed multiple nattys since 1980 and even GT has one since then. This is not counting Florida. UGA has more money and resources than 2 of those and is close to the other. UGA is the flagship program in a state that produces as many NFL players as any in the country save a couple. There is no reason that UGA should not be competing for a national title more than once every 40 years. No, it ain't easy...you gotta have some breaks if you ain't Alabama who wins titles simply by being in the title game as often as possible. UGA ain't Alabama.....but we have a winning record against every one of our rivals who have won a natty since 1980 with the exception of Alabama and LSU.

LSU, Auburn and UT have won titles since 1980 and do not have the resources UGA has. Auburn and LSU have won a couple. It is not unrealistic that UGA should be in the hunt every 5-8 years. Currently we are in the hunt. somewhat, almost every year. That is where UGA should be.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Yeah right, post pages rubbing the losing teams nose in it that’s cool but mention mutt history and its a knee jerk and your a hater.

I enjoy the good natured ribbing of football season. It’s laughs and a distraction we all need. I don’t live my life vicariously through a school, especially one I didn’t graduate from. It’s football, I like it, but the world will go on if Bama loses and when Nic retires.

Further, Nic and Kirby spent years together. Have a close personal and professional relationship. Their job is to build a program to defeat the other guy. They both do a good job of that. This video shows what I’m talking about. Shame some folks don’t get it.