Generator Advice

ribber

Have been going to purchase a portable generator for years, but never have. After being without power for 3 days after Hurricane Michael, this has become a priority.

I'm looking in the 5500-10000 watt range and I want a dual fuel for propane also. My plans are to wire a plug to breaker box for the house outages, but will also use generator at the hunting camp. My question is about brand mostly. Are most China made? All seem to have good reviews.
Not in a rush to buy. Right now, a lot of places are out of stock around me. But, will get one sometime before the new year.

HD28

I really like my Generac 6500! House is wired with a transfer switch. Money well spent!

shdw633

How many people do you live around and how portable do you want it to be. These larger watt range generators are nice, but not real portable. You might consider a 3500 watt inverter generator that you can get at Harbor Freights for about $700 and then get a 5500 watt generator, again at Harbor Freight for about $500 when and if you have another storm of that type go through. You may find the 3500 watt inverter will handle the majority of your needs and not even need the larger unit. I have a Generac 6500 that has gone through countless tropical storms and I believe about 5 hurricanes to date and that handles my house needs, including a portable window air conditioner; however, I am going to get the more portable inverter before the next hurricane season due to the portablility and quietness. Your neighbors will already be frustrated at what they are going through, they will not appreciate a noisy generator going through the night while they are sweating in their sleep and a 5500 plus watt generator is not going to have the portability that you are most likely seeking at camp.....nor the quietness.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Have been going to purchase a portable generator for years, but never have. After being without power for 3 days after Hurricane Michael, this has become a priority.

I'm looking in the 5500-10000 watt range and I want a dual fuel for propane also. My plans are to wire a plug to breaker box for the house outages, but will also use generator at the hunting camp. My question is about brand mostly. Are most China made? All seem to have good reviews.
Not in a rush to buy. Right now, a lot of places are out of stock around me. But, will get one sometime before the new year.

Whatever unit you get be sure you know what you are doing backloading your electrical service panel. You can kill people.

smokey30725

I've got a Generac 20kw whole house propane system, but also have my old Generac 5500w portable gas as a backup. The 5500 has 6500 surge watts, and was able to run the majority of my house before i bought the whole house system.

Capt Quirk

Whatever you decide, get the warranty! Most gennys won't have a local repair shop, and it will take way too long, way too much to repair to a satisfactory level. I will flat run a Harbor Freight genny into the grave, then trade it for a new one. I get 1-2 years out of one, running it daily.

Backlasher82

Whatever you decide, get the warranty! Most gennys won't have a local repair shop, and it will take way too long, way too much to repair to a satisfactory level. I will flat run a Harbor Freight genny into the grave, then trade it for a new one. I get 1-2 years out of one, running it daily.

That sure doesn't speak well for Harbor Freight generators if they only last a year or two.

kaddiddle

Ribber - I had the same thought pattern as you. I could not see investing in a standby genne that had the high chance of just sitting there and not getting any use out of it. I ended up finding a reasonable deal on a Champion at Acme Tools " https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tool...r-equipment-100297c-8000w-dual-fuel-generator " When I built my house I had a manual transfer switch installed and a plug wired to the AUX side of the switch. I purchased a 50 ft power cord from Amazon, in the camping section. With this I can run my house, I can run my camper, take it to hunting camp, to my parents house, in the bed of my Mule for shooting house/fence maintenance in the woods. Is it ideal when it comes to loading in the truck?...no, but i will not be doing it every day and it is nothing a small ditch and/or a couple 2x6's can't handle.

You will be surprised what a sheet of plywood cut in 3rd's and hinged does for sound redirection.