Georgia trout fishing changes being proposed- comments wanted

lampern

Fishing​

Anglers and other interested citizens, you are invited to provide comments on the proposed rulemaking changes regarding trout fishing at the upcoming scheduled virtual hearing, or through one of the alternative methods suggested below:

• Virtual Scheduled Hearing: You can provide comments at a virtual public hearing (live via the Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division Facebook Page) scheduled for July 20, 2023 (7pm).
  • Alternative Comment Submission Methods: You can provide comments by email (fm.comments@dnr.ga.gov), by telephone (706-557-3305) or by submitting written statements, before close of business on July 28, 2023. Written statements should be mailed to: Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Resources Division/Fisheries Management Section 2067 U.S. Highway 278, S.E., Social Circle, Georgia 30025.

cowhornedspike

I like all of them except the early end to DH. Leave the close date the same as now, but do the rest of those changes.

lampern

I read it had to do with the Chattahoochee DH and allowing folks to keep trout before the stripers ate them.

Not sure if thats really why.

basshappy

BANNED
Interesting about Waters Creek. My boy and I just fished it and the largest landed trout was maybe 12 inches give or take. And we started from above the Dockery Lake run off. All the way down to Dick's. Nearly 10 hours on that stretch.

Both he and I imagined the glory days when 20 inch trout were regulars. Seeing the remains of the runs and chutes were cool. Someone really designed it well way back in the day. Now there are so many blow downs clogging it up and creating sitting issues.

lampern

Moving the ending date one month earlier will allow more anglers to take advantage of harvest opportunities before water temperatures reach the upper threshold for trout

There is the DNR justification. Makes sense at least as far as the Hooch DH goes.

cowhornedspike

Then change it for that DH, but don't change ALL of them because it will be good for one.

lampern

Shadow11

Didnt look at it, but it hasnt been good in nega in about 5 or 6 yrs. They only stock the places that only requires 10 steps or less from the truck now days. Then, the game warden tells you that you can't put 3 in the cooler and have 2 on the stringer. He'll tell you to go back and put the other 3 on the stringer. I've been here 40 yrs. My dad 70 something. It's gone to crap. Woke!