Georgia Trout Waters

I’m new to the board, but have lived in Southern Georgia for 4 years now. Transplant from Arkansas where I grew up fly fishing for Rainbows and big browns on the Little Red River in North Central Arkansas. I’ve got the itch to get back on the water in a really bad way and am looking for some good areas to get back into the swing of things. Initial research is telling me that the Chattahoochee at around Jones Bridge is a good spot to do some fly fishing. Is this accurate and are there any other places that I could hit? I’m looking for good public access areas that will allow me to wade in. How often do they generate and does anyone know the current water conditions? What equipment do you guys or gals recommend, such as a 4 wt in lieu of a 5 or 6 wt rod; nymphs, dry flies or streamers; are felt bottom boots ok or do I need rubber bottom boots? Any good places to stay while there? I live outside of Savannah, so this is a bit more than a day trip for me to go up to Northern Georgia without staying the night somewhere, so recommendations on good, clean places to call my HQ while there would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know you guys better.

Caddisfly01

Ark - welcome to the board..There are many members much more familiar with the ATL stretches of the Hooch than I am, and no doubt they will chime in..When I do get a chance to trout fish I go more to the mountain areas and if you are interested in advice there, please send a PM...Either way, welcome and sit back and wait for some really good guidance (as long as you don't ask about bluelines)..You'll hear more about those later..Take care!

Last edited:

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Ah, the coldwater itch. I had that at one time and didn't think fishing counted unless it was accessible by jet to Montana or a 4 hour drive to the 'Hooch and beyond from here on the coast. During its prime, the 'Hooch was as good as anywhere at Cochran Shoals and just above in the grass beds with blanket mayfly hatches and caddis emergences. Finally got my attitude adjusted and took advantage of what was within an hour from my couch. There's no fishing like fishing the home waters and making them a part of your life's routine. Whether it's for tailing redfish in the Chatham County marshes or popper caught redbreasts in the Canoochee or Ogeechee, there's plenty of flyrodding to be done here. And Dorothy was right, there's no place like home. Gil

Jimmy Harris

Welcome ArkFlyFisher. I spent a few years in Russellville myself. If you're an outdoors person, Arkansas is heaven. There are a lot of trout fishing options in north Georgia and I certainly encourage you to start exploring. The Chattahoochee River in Atlanta is a really good wild brown trout fishery and, with your Little Red experience, you should do well there. Of course, the north Georgia mountains have everything from small wild trout streams to the Toccoa tailwater, Delayed Harvest streams and more. The Chattooga River on the GA/SC line is one of my favorite streams in the world. Not to send you off to another state but you will actually find some good trout fishing closer to your home than Atlanta. The Saluda River is a tailwater fishery in Columbia, SC that produces wild rainbows. It's 2 1/2 hours from Savannah. Feel free to reach out for more specific information.

Thanks Jim! I'm going to start working on a fly fishing trip for the fall and will definitely check out the Saluda River. I ike the 2 1/2 hr drive over the 4 hr drive I was looking at just to get to Jones Bridge park. Thanks again for the information!