Getting a local tune

ASH556

Man I LOVE Pat and Ryan at The Outdoor Deopot. They have just treated me absolutely fantastically over the years and continue to do so. That said, I need some expert tuning help with my bow and the feeling I get is that they either don't really have the time or just aren't that into that kind of thing. I bought my new V3 31 from them in January of this year. All through the Summer the bow was shooting well and hitting well with my QAD Exodus heads. Well, after losing a doe last Saturday on what I thought was a good hit and found lots of good blood I decided to check my tune before going out again. Something is off. I shot field points at 20, 40, and 60 to confirm sights. Everything was hitting nice and dead center (even a 2" group at 60!). Then I shot the dull QAD that'd been through the deer. Not bad at 20 (I shot the doe at 22yds), but when I backed up to 40 and 60 things were bad.

I needed new blades anyway so I went to Outdoor Depot and they didn't have anything QAD, so I bought 2 packs of Slick Tricks. These were even further off than the QAD's. I moved the rest and got them to match field points perfectly at 20 and 30, but 40 and beyond was not good. Looking at the rest, it's just inside 3/4" from the riser and is probably having some vane contact. SHOOT!

What I'd like to do now is just push the re-set button. Get the bow paper tuned, broadhead tuned, check all 3 axes on the sight (Spot Hogg Fast Eddie) and get some confidence back.

I called Archery Learning Center and at this point am planning to take the bow there for a tune up.

Short of buying a press and a bunch of other tools I don't have, is this the right path to go down? I've seen Pat & Ryan do paper tune, but not broadhead tune or check sight axes.

Sixes

If your bow was tuned and arrow flight good, you should have moved the sight to change the impact and not the rest. Moving the rest can cause all kinds of tuning issues

ddd-shooter

I doubt its a sight issue. Its more than likely form related, or you simply need very MICRO adjustments to your rest to dial it in the rest of the way.
If it is form, you can mask it at close distances. If it is (tiny) rest adjustments, you can mask them relatively well at close distances also.
As for broadhead tuning, I've never known a pro shop to do that, that's what backyards and allen wrenches are for, lol

As for confidence, do whatever is necessary to gain it back, but if you're good to 30, you know you're good until final tune.
I prefer to do all my bow tuning myself, though I am rusty, as I simply don't tweak as much these days.

Ihunt

Shoot a bare shaft and fletched at 5 yards. Play with your grip if the bare shaft is just a little off. You will learn that you can control a lot of the bare shaft with torque in your bow hand. It should be a real eye opener as far as form goes.

BamaGeorgialine

Shoot a bare shaft and fletched at 5 yards. Play with your grip if the bare shaft is just a little off. You will learn that you can control a lot of the bare shaft with torque in your bow hand. It should be a real eye opener as far as form goes.
I agree and I've tried that as well in the past. What I learned is that in the heat of the moment that I would always instinctively grab the grip with what was comfortable for me, so I'd have to tune the bow to my grip if that was the problem