Getting my young sons out hunting

PSYscout

The Army just moved my family and I to Fort Benning this summer and it looks like we will be here for 3 or so years. I am from out west where leases aren't really a thing because there is so much land. I am used to a lot of back country hunting in WA, ID, CO, and AK, but am looking for a lease or hunting opportunity for deer, hogs, turkey, etc. near Fort Benning so I can get my two sons (7 and 8) really into hunting without battling the masses on public or on Ft. Benning. Getting my boys out into the woods and planting the hunting bug is all I can hope for. It's very important to me to teach them respectful and ethical hunting, just like my father taught me. Especially in todays world where it seems these practices are falling by the way side. If I don't teach these boys to be respectful and honorable men then nobody will. As a father that's my number 1 priority. I mainly bow hunt but the boys will be using a rifle. They will mostly hunt out of a ground blind to get some experience under their belts.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to Send me a private message as well.

thank you

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Welcome to Woody's and congratulations on wanting to do the right thing by your sons.

It is going to be tough sledding trying to find a club right here at the beginning of the season. Public land might be your best bet for this year. I have my own place on the other side of the State and I am not a public land hunter so I will not be of much help to you except to say keep asking.

You could open a thread in the deer hunting sub-forum and ask how others handle it, when the areas are less crowded, & etc. It can't hurt to talk it over. You might even find a lease somewhere looking for that last spot to fill.

Good luck with hunting Georgia and with raising those younguns right.(y)

PSYscout

Welcome to Woody's and congratulations on wanting to do the right thing by your sons.

It is going to be tough sledding trying to find a club right here at the beginning of the season. Public land might be your best bet for this year. I have my own place on the other side of the State and I am not a public land hunter so I will not be of much help to you except to say keep asking.

You could open a thread in the deer hunting sub-forum and ask how others handle it, when the areas are less crowded, & etc. It can't hurt to talk it over. You might even find a lease somewhere looking for that last spot to fill.

Good luck with hunting Georgia and with raising those younguns right.(y)

Thank you for the info! Out west I would just go door knocking on some ranchers or landowners property and that has been pretty successful, maybe i'll give that I try out here as well if nothing pans out.

specialk

agree with justus, use public this late in the game....also skip deer and try small game, maybe squirrel....

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Most of us old timers started on small game. I didn't go looking for my first deer until I was almost 40. LOL

Waddams

You can find local WMA's on GA DNR's website here:
https://georgiawildlife.com/locations/hunting

There are several close by. I don't know their open dates offhand but that's in the hunting regs. They take a little getting used to but are in there.

Clubs and lease spots are hard to find. Finding one that fits your needs (QDM only vs. archery only vs. just want a camp for time away and knock down a few does) is harder. Not saying you can't find one but it will be especially difficult right now.

PSYscout

agree with justus, use public this late in the game....also skip deer and try small game, maybe squirrel....

Thanks for the thought, They are more than capable to take a deer. Took my oldest (8) out for a week turkey hunting last spring and put about 40 miles on his boots over the week. He did just fine and used a mouth call to call in birds for us. They also have a lot of time put in on the range and have both completed hunter safety programs.

PSYscout

Most of us old timers started on small game. I didn't go looking for my first deer until I was almost 40. LOL

These boys are built different...lol Thanks for the thought, They are more than capable to take a deer. Took my oldest (8) out for a week turkey hunting last spring and put about 40 miles on his boots over the week. He did just fine and used a mouth call to call in birds for us. They also have a lot of time put in on the range and have both completed hunter safety programs.

GerChap

With Five Wildlife Management Area's (WMA's) within an hours drive of Ft Benning, I say take a stab at hunting deer. Take a little time to look at the maps on the following link after tracking down names of WMA's near Fort Benning on Google Maps.

https://georgiawildlife.com/locations/hunting

https://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/

Link to Hunting Regs and info on the WMA's. This is important to understand where in addition to state hunting dates and regs, the WMA's may offer additional dates or "Bonus Hunts" where Fathers take their children. This is a good time to get into the woods with many other hunters on the sideline not able to hunt those days.

Also important to download the APP from-- https://georgiawildlife.com/outdoors-ga-app

App gives access to the same features as the website.
https://georgiawildlife.com/

Enjoy Georgia and the outdoors...best of luck to you & the family.

Gerry

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If I were you I’d look hard into Benning . Plenty of land and game . I have a couple friends that exclusively hunt Benning and do quite well . Never heard them say it was to crowded , good luck whatever you decide .

Latest posts