Give a simple explanation of the Trinity.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
This popped into my mind yesterday during service. (Yes it got a little boring and my mind wandered). How would you explain the Trinity in a simple manner. The best I've ever understood it was as H2O. Meaning, whether being in vapor, ice, or liquid it's still H2O.

Just interested in some other SIMPLE visualizations.

centerpin fan

The best I've ever understood it was as H2O. Meaning, whether being in vapor, ice, or liquid it's still H2O.

That might be interpreted as modalism:

http://www.theopedia.com/modalism

God's nature is Divine, and He is revealed in three distinct persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

That's the "simple" answer, but it's still a difficult concept to grasp.

Artfuldodger

I think the h2o analogy explains oneness as the molecule of water can't be all three at the same time.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

I realize it's limitations. Was hoping someone could provide a better one.

SemperFiDawg

That might be interpreted as modalism:

http://www.theopedia.com/modalism

God's nature is Divine, and He is revealed in three distinct persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

That's the "simple" answer, but it's still a difficult concept to grasp.

Hey CPF. If you have to provide a link to define a word you used, I think you violated the part about keeping it simple.::ke: You feeling OK today? You are the master of one liners, yet Art of all people simplified your reply.

hobbs27

Semperfi.... There's just no simple way to explain it. It's even very hard to defend, so one either believes it from their understanding of the scriptures or they don't.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

I just try to think of it as God the Father (from which all His purposes originate in us), God the Son (our intercessor and advocate and redeemer to name a few), and God the Holy Spirit(the one who walks with us, helping us to carry out the will of the Father thru the Son), each having different roles in creation but all are one in purpose, message and plan. That's the best I can do in my little mind!

Dr. Strangelove

Holy%20Trinty_zpsfzloi53k.jpg

You can't have one without the others! Dang, now I wanna make some gumbo.

centerpin fan

Hey CPF. If you have to provide a link to define a word you used, I think you violated the part about keeping it simple.::ke: You feeling OK today?

The shock of seeing orthodox theological question posted in the Spiritual forum left me feeling a little verklempt.

verklempt-meaning.gif

I probably should have given myself 24 hours of recovery time before replying.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am my wife's husband, my children's dad, and my grandbabies Pappy, but I am one person known by 3 different names. I have different traits that I let be shown in the different relationships.

One being, 3 personalities

rjcruiser

It's like an old black woman, a carpenter and an Asian woman who likes to garden.

welderguy

The three persons of the trinity are unified , as one God.
Think of a husband and wife. They are two different people, but are one in marriage. That is ,of course, an imperfect example, but my point is that it's not 1/3 + 1/3 +1/3=1.

But rather 1+1+1=1

Hope that didn't confuse you more.

SemperFiDawg

I am my wife's husband, my children's dad, and my grandbabies Pappy, but I am one person known by 3 different names. I have different traits that I let be shown in the different relationships.

One being, 3 personalities

I like this one.

SemperFiDawg

The three persons of the trinity are unified , as one God.
Think of a husband and wife. They are two different people, but are one in marriage. That is ,of course, an imperfect example, but my point is that it's not 1/3 + 1/3 +1/3=1.

But rather 1+1+1=1

Hope that didn't confuse you more.

I understand it. I just don't know how to explain it simply. To which C.S. Lewis would say meant I didn't understand it very well. In which case he would be correct.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

The shock of seeing orthodox theological question posted in the Spiritual forum left me feeling a little verklempt.

verklempt-meaning.gif

I probably should have given myself 24 hours of recovery time before replying.

You think that's bad? I've been diagnosed with modalism and didn't even know I had it. Should have suspected something more sinister was going on when my toe-nail fungus didn't respond to conventional treatment.

1gr8bldr

Wonder why Paul, or Peter never explained it. Surely something so hard to grasp would need clarification. Especially since their extreme monotheistic belief is now being said to have 3 equal part:huh:s????