Give Me A Dollar's Worth Please

Redbow

Now folks I'm old in years born 1946 as well as old school in things that I remember and things that I do most every day. But of course things in life since I was young have greatly changed..I can remember a time when most of the people I knew growing up would pull up to a gas pump with a dollar in their hand and tell the attendant, gimme a dollar's worth please..I've done so many times myself in the distant past..I can remember when gas at times was 19.9 per gallon in some places, other gas stations were 21.9. My Stepfather and I ran an Amoco station back in the early sixties for years beside I-95. Our gas was a few pennies higher for regular and high test because of our location..

Most people around our area were farmers so they came by and got a dollar's worth of gas usually weekly...People off the interstate usually got a full tank of fuel they were traveling.. Rarely did our neighbor's get a full tank unless they were going out of town for a while..Many of the people I knew back then couldn't afford to fill the tank of their car or truck...Sometimes someone pulled up to our pumps and handed me 50 cents for gas. That got you a shake over two gallons and if you were not going far that was enough I suppose for the time being.. We surely did not make a living selling gas we only got a few cents per gallon that we sold Amoco got the rest..We made our living with grease jobs, oil changes, doing minor repairs on vehicles, fixing flats selling tires usually recaps 7 bucks per tire back then and of course washing cars and trucks..

I'm sure there are folks on this site besides me who used to pull up to a gas pump and tell the attendant, give me a dollar's worth please...Those days are long gone and so are full service gas stations. I asked my Stepdad shortly before he died a few years ago if he wished we still ran the old Amoco service station that was torn down many years ago now.. He replied, I sure do... We had some great times there...Me too Dad, me too...RIP..

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I remember buying a dollars worth Many times when I first started driving back in the early 70’s.

I remember one time Daddy sent me to the store with a galvanized 5 gallon gas can to get kerosene to use burning brush piles. I told Mr Wilkes at the country store to give me a dollars worth. He said I can’t do it. He was messing with me. Kerosene was only 15 cents a gallon and 75 cents worth was all it would hold.

ol bob

I bought gas in N.C. for $014 per gal 1961.

Cool Hand Luke

Thought this was interesting. Looks like it didn't go over a dollar till early 80's.

fotw888.png

ryanh487

Thought this was interesting. Looks like it didn't go over a dollar till early 80's.

fotw888.png

Shoot it was barely over a dollar when I was in high school. I remember it hitting 1.25 in the early 2000s and I could fill the 15 gallon tank on my jeep from E and still get change from the $20 bill. Then Katrina happened and rocked our world with $5 gas and as it came down the government decided it was a good time to add taxes to it since we were used to paying so much already.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now folks I'm old in years born 1946 as well as old school in things that I remember and things that I do most every day. But of course things in life since I was young have greatly changed..I can remember a time when most of the people I knew growing up would pull up to a gas pump with a dollar in their hand and tell the attendant, gimme a dollar's worth please..I've done so many times myself in the distant past..I can remember when gas at times was 19.9 per gallon in some places, other gas stations were 21.9. My Stepfather and I ran an Amoco station back in the early sixties for years beside I-95. Our gas was a few pennies higher for regular and high test because of our location..

Most people around our area were farmers so they came by and got a dollar's worth of gas usually weekly...People off the interstate usually got a full tank of fuel they were traveling.. Rarely did our neighbor's get a full tank unless they were going out of town for a while..Many of the people I knew back then couldn't afford to fill the tank of their car or truck...Sometimes someone pulled up to our pumps and handed me 50 cents for gas. That got you a shake over two gallons and if you were not going far that was enough I suppose for the time being.. We surely did not make a living selling gas we only got a few cents per gallon that we sold Amoco got the rest..We made our living with grease jobs, oil changes, doing minor repairs on vehicles, fixing flats selling tires usually recaps 7 bucks per tire back then and of course washing cars and trucks..

I'm sure there are folks on this site besides me who used to pull up to a gas pump and tell the attendant, give me a dollar's worth please...Those days are long gone and so are full service gas stations. I asked my Stepdad shortly before he died a few years ago if he wished we still ran the old Amoco service station. He replied, I sure do... We had some great times there...Me too Dad, me too...RIP..

Redbow do you remember the Gas Wars. I saw gas go down to 12.9 cent a gallon in Moultrie back in the 60's.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The cheapest I can remember it is about .35 a gallon at my dad's little store when I was a kid. After I was a teenager with my license, $5 would get you enough gas to run on for awhile.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

I'm sure there are folks on this site besides me who used to pull up to a gas pump and tell the attendant, give me a dollar's worth please...Those days are long gone and so are full service gas stations. I asked my Stepdad shortly before he died a few years ago if he wished we still ran the old Amoco service station. He replied, I sure do... We had some great times there...Me too Dad, me too...RIP..[/QUOTE 1949 here,I've seen a lot of .25 gas, some.15-.18 or so. Remember stamps to get gasoline at a cheaper price? There was a chain called Star that did that here,and sold rerefined oil by the quart jar. My wife had a 1972 Datsun sedan when we married in 1974,gas was around .29 cents then. The Datsun had a 10 gallon tank,you couldn't put 3.00 dollars in at fillup. I bought a lot of gas one or two dollars at a time,as well a single beers from country stores.

Redbow

Redbow do you remember the Gas Wars. I saw gas go down to 12.9 cent a gallon in Moultrie back in the 60's.
Yes I do remember the gas wars One day I was headed home driving thru Florence SC and I saw a sign cheap gas.. I pulled in and filled up my old '65 Chevy truck for less than three bucks. The station right across the street had a big sign out also, cheap gas. They were having a gas war. This was in '73, in the next few days gas went up significantly and soon lots of gas stations were out of gas completely...I don't think I have seen a gas war since...

Cmp1

BANNED
Cheapest I remember was 29.9,,,,my 75 Pinto would go from Det to Boston on Two tanks,,,,or there abouts,,,,I would always come back with several cases of Narragansett beer,,,,good stuff,,,,and definitely Molson on the way out of Canada,,,,

Redbow

Cheapest I remember was 29.9,,,,my 75 Pinto would go from Det to Boston on Two tanks,,,,or there abouts,,,,I would always come back with several cases of Narragansett beer,,,,good stuff,,,,and definitely Molson on the way out of Canada,,,,
I had a '79 Pinto dark blue it was a fairly good car and got good mileage..We drove that little car for years the only trouble we had was the choke flapper broke on the carb but I never fixed it.. Not a bad car for the money at all..

oldways

I still have fun with this I'll go in the bait house and tell the boy give me 2.00 worth of crickets you should see his face I always get more crickets than I need. Just tickles me that folks can't figure anymore..