Gizzards in Coosa ?

kscoggins

I have always caught my shad on Weiss or any of the sloughs off the river like Brushy etc.

Are there ever any shad concentrations up at the lock and dam or further upriver ?

Found a few this weekend, all males. Hopefully the fat girls show up soon.

Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• 20180415_235924.jpg
    20180415_235924.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 253

ryork

Nice fish!

I've been able to net some at the lock before, either casting the net in the lock itself or on the outside of it on the river side right up against the wall. Will need to add some rope to the net considering the height of the wall. It can be hit or miss though, and I have typically went to Brushy for shad and then came back to the lock and dam to put in.

Wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't net some in some of the creek mouths downstream of the lock, but I've always been leery of that because of the likelihood of destroying or losing the net.

snapdog

They may or may not be there yet but there will be shad at the lock. Across from the lock in the transition from swift to eddy water near the base of the old dam foundation is usually good.

kscoggins

Nice fish!

I've been able to net some at the lock before, either casting the net in the lock itself or on the outside of it on the river side right up against the wall. Will need to add some rope to the net considering the height of the wall. It can be hit or miss though, and I have typically went to Brushy for shad and then came back to the lock and dam to put in.

Wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't net some in some of the creek mouths downstream of the lock, but I've always been leery of that because of the likelihood of destroying or losing the net.

Thanks,
I may try the lock one evening after work and fish from there also.