Gobbler behavior at the Miller/Early county line.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
So far this season, haven't seen a gobbler strut, nor heard one gobble. Never saw a gobbler until last weekend. Seeing hens, and have called up several hens to within ten to twenty yards. Then one afternoon, while calling a mature gobbler came out mid field from me. That's about 100 yards or so. He never responded to calling, nor to a decoy. While watching him, a live hen came in to my decoy clucking and yelping. That hen must have been ugly because the gobbler stopped feeding, looked and went back to feeding. He was also going away. After about ten minutes the hen left, but not in the direction of the gobbler. Watched this gobbler for several hours. He never responded. Gobbler sign on our roads where gobblers would travel to catch hens off the nest have disappeared too. Other than that, our weather hasn't been the best for turkey hunting. Anyone else seeing gobblers that show no interest?
Joking: Maybe a one day season with half a gobbler being the limit would improve things.

Attachments

• gateturkeys.jpg
    gateturkeys.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 33

goblr77

Out of three Early County gobblers for me, two were killed in the afternoon and didn't gobble. Both strutted a lot and followed very vocal boss hens to me. The third bird was in the morning straight off the roost when his feet hit the ground. He gobbled probably 50 times on the limb.