GON POLL: Taking shots past 40 yards

Do you believe hunters with today's innovations should knowingly take shots past 40 yards?

• Yes

• No

• No in the woods, yes in the open

Results are only viewable after voting.

six

I voted no based on my personal restrictions, not to tell somebody else they are wrong for shooting past that.

White0ak

Banned
I voted no based on my personal restrictions, not to tell somebody else they are wrong for shooting past that.

Thanks, just hoping to get some turkey talk going to spice up the forum! I too voted no based on my personal restrictions but also as a virtue signaling for the promotion of ethical shots these amazing animals deserve!

Tadder

I personally like too get so close I fill it in my chest when he gobbles and spit & drumbs. Get me all tow up. If I lose that just as well quit. My son just took a public land gobbler that had been shoot earlier this season by someone that must have took a shoot they should've took. Bird was 25 yds when my son took him. He had been shoot with heavy shoot so it appeared too be maybe tss . We shoot copper plated shoot. His head and neck was load with it. His body had a lot of the other shot in it. Be patient and wait for him too get close and you like the results we you take the shot. My 2 cents. Its about the chase and all thats going on around you in nature. Taking a gobbler home with you is a Blessing.(y)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Take what ever your equipment can handle and you feel confident with. Personally, I like a gobbler at 20 to 25 yards for a head shot with no pellets in the breast meat.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I voted yes , just because I’ve killed several past 40 yds , i can guess 50 yds pretty easy and if I put the bead in the right spot my equipment will do the rest . The one I killed this season was 20 yds

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Ethics bla bla bla , as much as I respect our wild turkey and love to see one strutting . And no better sound I the woods than drumming and gobbling . Bottom line is I go to the woods to kill ! I call it turkey hunting not turkey watching .

White0ak

Banned
25 yards through underbrush versus 55 yards thru open hardwoods with a red dot, I choose the further bird.

Everyone's idea of ethics is different, so don't bring in ethics.

Nahhh 6s....we will agree to disagree, respectfully of course! I'm of the mindset that generalized talk around ethical shots on any animal is 100% fair game (pun intended) for us as hunters to discuss...I'd argue ethical shot talk as a core talking point for any hunter who cares about their game. Heck replace the word ethics in your comment with hunter etiquette or woodsmanship and your notion around individual interpretation plays for those as well. That said, why even have a forum if these are topics we shouldn't bring up around the campfire?

I bet the talk on here around "ethical shots" is really juicy over in the archery section, no?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I bet the talk on here around "ethical shots" is really juicy over in the archery section, no?
Well speaking of archery then. Some can’t hit a paper plate at 20 yds. Others sane bow out to 50 ty yards. Hit it. sane as a shotgun. I see on dove fields tge one who shoot a box of shells and get a dove. While others get a limit with a box.
So your ethical shot is your distance your most effective! Some folks maybe only 25 yds. Others maybe out to 50ty.
Not everyone can freehand a 22 rifle either. Some can only hit a can at 30ty yards. Others out to 100.
A lot of this is opinionated talk.
Everyone’s maximum effective range varies with every weapon and animals hunted.
With turkey hunting 40ty yards is a good shot. Some hunters can’t judge 40ty yards that well to begin with.
BTW , I do shoot the 10 dollar shell TSS because of “MY” ethics. It’s heavier than lead. I can use a higher number shot for more pellets. It shoots a tighter pattern.
So if I misjudged my distance and it’s really 49 yards. I still have a dead turkey and I feel I owe that bird that much. It bothers me to know I let a animal suffer.
I also carry long beards 6s with me. If I’m in a tighter spot and feel it maybe a 20 ty 30 yard shot. I feel they spread a little more. Perfect for that range.
Good luck hearing one. Be safe and practice shooting.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good Lawd, if it’s legal then let each hunt in their own way. These pot stirrer threads serve no purpose but division.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I know. Now I feel bad about killing that one with a cane pole that was whooping up on my decoy. That decoy cost 50 ty bucks. Same as my shells. They to expense to shoot. ?

Did he eat all your crickets?

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
In the past 30 yrs lots of birds have hung up just past 40 yds and watched them walk away. Taken a few at 50 yds with lead that I miss judged the distance but with my setup now I am very comfortable taking them past 40. To each is own on how they hunt. I've always said you do your thing and I will do mine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Not all of them..... but I always carry a extra 100.

Got to modify my huntin bag, it’s got a place to hold a box call but not a cricket tube.